275 Akropovich Exhaust Trophy 275

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Mathjos21, May 14, 2018.

1. Hey Guys, had the car for a week now and I'm loving it still, but one thing that bugs me is the noise. I genuinely thought it would be louder than it is with the Ti Akropovich exhaust??

Im new to the RS Trophy, and Renault Meganes in general so what are my options to get it sounding better?

Not sure what to do if the system is Titanium ...

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

2. Mines a standard 275 Trophy. Wouldn't say it's "loud" as such but it crackles and pops like mad on over-run. Wife only ever been in it once & won't go in it again because of it lol. Perfect.

3. I mean yeh it pops a bit, nothing crazy really. I like to hear the car make a bit more noise to give feedback on heavy driving, especially if I take it on track.

What can be done to the system then if its Titanium? Do you need a titanium sports cat / delete? Is there a smaller Ti silencer that can be fitted? Turbo elbow? Induction kit? Ect...

Any help?

4. Hi, I’d fit a CGR decat. They generally come in stainless steel but they can make in titanium also I think. That’ll make a big improvement to the soundtrack. The norm on the Megane is to remove the mid silencer, but I don’t think the Acra has one [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mathjos21 likes this.
  5. It's plenty loud. Not thuggish, remembering its a four pot so will only ever be screechy rather than a good noise. One way to improve the internal sound is rear seat removal. Quite a few folks have done that, but if you need the seats try removing the parcel shelf.

You can also replace the cat for a cat delete or sports pipe which does make a difference. Being Ti it is not an option to cut the mid box. I had a look under mine when it was on the ramps and the Ti is forward of the centre box back.

I have the rear seat removal and rear bar with sabelt net and when properly on it and the exhaust is hot it pops and bangs and full throttle noise is quite good as well. Like I said not thiggish loud, but good.

Mathjos21 likes this.

6. Hi, in recent ebay browsing I saw a mid box delete pipe specifically for the Megane factory fitted Akrapovic... it’s in stainless though...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/361878787666

Chris.

7. Just decat. Sounds amazing.

8. The CGR Decats look great aswell (not that it matters if it's under the car lol) but looks good quality .

Correct me if I'm wrong , do you need to remap after fitting the decat on the RS's ? I had a couple of cars decat'd , but happened to get them mapped roughly around the same time anyway.

9. It’s not essential, but it’ll probably throw up a dash light (which they can map out). But a good remap will definitely complement the decat and push power/torque figures up into the 300’s [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mathjos21 likes this.
  10. I have the akra on my 275. Take out the parcel shelf and it makes a big difference. Putting down the seats helps even more but I don't usually bother with that.

11. You'll still get some extra noise from a sports cat and won't have to swap it out for every mot. I don't know how things are going to go with testing getting stricter. I've never found a friendly mot tester

12. Is this seriously the best advice to do ? Take out rear seats and parcel shelf? I find this a bit bonkers tbh , surely there's someone out there that can give proper advice on what is possible to do ?

The fact that it's a 2.0 litre 4 pot should not put the Megane in a lower category for good noise, my Evo was a 2.0 litre 4 pot aswell , that sounded amazing . :expressionless: Everyone that's been out in the Megane with me have commented on how quiet it is...

I was hoping that there would be someone who had a bit better input than " take the parcel shelf out " really :sweat: , no offence intended , was just hoping there was a clearer answer :wink:

13. If you have had quick Evo's then you know what is required then, remove the choke points, which on these are the front cat, either decat or sports cat, OR the mid box chop. Being Ti you pays you money and takes your chances if you wish to cut it up.

Failing that remove the Akra and get a full 3" CGR or similar.

All that info was in this thread, along with what others, including myself have done, removing the interior, which is not solely for noise increase.

Agree Evo's did sound good, I had a couple back in the day and with a full system they were epic and anti-social in a backward baseball cap, vape puffing out the window kinda way....:tearsofjoy:

Mathjos21 likes this.
  14. Don't think you'd be seeing my vaping away in my Evo :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Just found it bonkers that interior removal was a solution haha... I daily the car so I kind of need the interior :tearsofjoy:

Am I likely to be shot by the enthusiast if I chopped up an Akro system though? haha. If I were to sell it on , what's the going price on second hand Ti systems ?

Cheers :sunglasses:

15. It's not a/the solution, but a benefit if your removing rear interior for trackdays and for looks :wink:

TBH, nobody will bother if you cut it up, most apart from the anal future purchaser. It's your car remember, paint it pink if you want lol. But simplest solution is a front decat which does sound epic, get a stage 1 remap and get the crackle map added....now your talking.

16. meant to say, not sure on prices of Akra Ti 2nd hand, as they dont come up that often, or indeed at all lol, so speak to renault parts for a replacement price and work out a decent price from that...It would more than cover a replacement system. I'm sure someone will be along later to advise on prices.

Mathjos21 likes this.
  17. I think the last time I saw an akra for sale was around £1100. Which is the same price for a new gt performance titanium exhaust. I think decat is the way to go but the megane is one of those cars that isn't going to sound epic.

Mathjos21 likes this.
  18. It is unfortunately the case that the engine and especially turbo positioning and plumbing kills a lot of the noise of the 275 — or F4RT engines generally. So you start off behind a lot of other FI 2L 4cyls. Hybrid turbo cars seem to generate a bit more noise, is my simple observation, but overall I’m saying you won’t get the same sort of noise out of the Megane, at least as a roadworthy car, as you can from others.

19. I wasn't saying that taking out the parcel shelf was the "only" solution, but it's a free way to make the car (noticeably) noisier.

20. This is maybe a silly question but are you aware of the ‘sport’ button? I know some aren’t. This changes the exhaust note somewhat and you’ll get a little more of the noise you’re after.

21. If you want more noise fit a decat, makes a massive difference and the pops and bangs are insane when hot. Have a full CGR system on mine with a ceramic coated decat, sounds awesome. Nice deep aggressive note at full chat without being too intrusive cruising at motorway speeds

22. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

Has anyone noticed the stock exhaust creates and blowing kind of sound? My friends describe it as asthmatic.