275 Akrapovic mid box chop

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by OiNK, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Has anyone done a mid box chop on the Akrapovic system yet?

Videos?

2. Expensive bit of kit to be chopping up.

3. Test drove a 275 CUP-S last night, didn't sound anywhere near as good as my standard system with the mid box chop, so wondered if anyone had chopped the akra and what the outcome sounded like.

4. You'd be better selling or keeping the akra and purchasing a standard system and cutting that up

5. I may be wrong but wasnt only the rear box made from titanium on the Akra system?

6. no it's cat back

Nmp likes this.
  7. This! Its the best way to do it, makes little sense cutting such an expensive piece of kit. Swap it for a std exhaust and do the chop. Its much better than the std Akra exhaust.

ewant81 likes this.
  8. I thought the same about mine, but you dont get a true reflection of how good the Akra sounds from inside the car. The Akra sounds bloody lovely when in 'sport' and properly hot. Pops, bangs and has its own disctinctive note. Fold your back seats down and go for a xcountry blat....big smiles..

ewant81 and Xanda73 like this.
  9. Mid box chop on my 250 is immense however I just can't see it sounding better than an akro!!!! No way! As said ^^^ take your parcel shelf out and boot lining and drive it hard in sport you'll soon realise!

10. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I don't get why people are getting so precious about it, It would be the first thing i done to mine if i had one with the Akra, then a decat.

Lewis and Oli like this.
  11. Well I have fairly direct comparisons from experience. I have a friend with a Miltek and one with an Akra. Neither pop or bang like my std system without the midbox. Dropping the seats will make any exhaust sound louder. I honestly can't see what more expensive systems give you that's better than a std system minus the midbox

12. I guess no one has done this chop then?

Wondered if it would have the same affect as the std system chop, is the mid silencer the same kind of design etc on the akra?

13. The akra system doesn't have a middle silencer and the rear box is 'similar' in shape to the std system.

14. cgrautomotive

cgrautomotive RSM Trader

Nigelo likes this.
  15. No thanks I've just bought a cup-s and it has the akra on it

16. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The aftermarket Akra's don't have a mid box but I'm pretty certain the ones that come OEM do have a box

17. Ahh I didn't realise that Jamie, wonder how different the systems sound. The stock akra system sounds a little uninspiring in the flesh to me.

18. Will get a look to see if it has a mid box when I collect the car later this week :smile:

Cheers for the heads up, wonder how much a Ti replacement section would be instead of sticking stainless steel in there :smile:

19. Alternatively, anyone decatted the akra yet?

20. The akra does need a bit more in my view. Looks like rs tuning do a compatible sports cat. Not cheap though.

21. I've heard a 275 with a decat Ti and it sounds amazing

22. Would love to hear that...

23. Do you have a video or was this in person?

24. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

There's a video or two on YouTube of them

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

25. Found one short vid with a sports cat, but not much else, would you have a link Jamie?

Thanks

26. I have an Akra on my trophy and sometimes it's really quiet and others rather loud. I do fancy a few more bangs though. Been considering a sport cat or decat or summat. No flames with a cat in place though are there![emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27. When do you notice it really loud? When it is properly hot?

28. Not always. I think when the air is cooler it seems to bang more. It's random it's like a woman lol! I'd like a bit more noise though. I think they are loud but you just can't hear it inside much as the cabin is well insulated. It burbles away nicely when you're behind it whe it's running. And my mate who has one, when I'm behind him and he guns it his sounds loud so mine must be the same!

29. You can always lower your back seats when driving spiritually. And the comment about the cabin quality, i really dont think its well insulated as the road noise etc. is pretty loud compared with the more premium brands. But yes, lower your seats and it is louuuud!

30. I find mine relatively quiet. Especially compared to my Clio 200. Ok it's not BMW quiet but one doesn't expect that do they!?

31. I think Renault got it just right.

It's turbo 4 - never going to be bought for the noise. I've had a loud Clio and now I appreciate something a little more subtle (sound wise, it's still a car with stickers lol).

When you get it really hot, turn the music off and maybe open the window, it sounds sweet.

OiNK and Nmp like this.
  32. Those cg guys do a nice decat I've asked if it'll fit the Akro system [emoji1303]

33. Any luck with this @Lewis?

Any videos anywhere of an akra running decat?

34. Nothing dude sorry:worried:

35. @-Jamie- @AJ-275

Either of you guys have a link to the videos of the akra with decat? I cannot seem to find anything on youtube....

have my decat ordered from CGR but just keen to hear a few clips if there are any online :smile:

Thanks!

36. Have you tried taking the boot floor out? Plenty loud enough then. I thought it was too quiet until I took the parcel shelf and boot floor out. Not anymore.

TurboFlorio and Pyper like this.
  37. I tried this for the first time last weekend, seats down, boot floor out, can't believe I never tried it before.
    It sounds so much better! Cheapest, easiest mod you will ever do!

38. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

But it doesnt actually make it sound any louder outside.....

39. ill get a video of my akrapovic with decat at the weekend for you guys

40. Is that a concern? Is that one of the reasons that affects your car buying choice....?