Airtec Intercooler

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Mark., Feb 20, 2014.

1. You got any images of the grills pal

2. Track Focus Direct

Track Focus Direct RSM Trader

I do have a few taken during the development. They are not coated black at this stage so may look a little odd. I'll have a look at them and post up once I get to a computer on Monday.
    Cheers,
    Jonny

3. Top man

4. Track Focus Direct

And I'll have the finished product a week today :-).
    So expect some teaser photos soon after!

5. Track Focus Direct

6. Does powder coating really not effect the cooling significantly?

7. Track Focus Direct

No not significantly at all, quite the opposite in fact and the differences were hardly measurable. However you can still opt for the plain alloy finish if you wish.

8. No, no, I want the black finish!

9. Track Focus Direct

There is also *Anthracite* :smiley:

10. Oh stop it now, but hold on. . . . . . . :smile:

11. Track Focus Direct

Airtec intercoolers for the Megane 2 are available to order from us now. :smiley:
    I will start a thread asap when we have done some photos. PM if you wish to place an order with free shipping. In stock are black and TFD exclusive anthracite. If you opt for the Airtec logo, you can have it in almost any colour including the Renault Sport Megane colours.

Regards,
    Jonny

12. I want one obviously black but not sure on logo colour

13. I'd go black IC white logo colour just because my car is white. What colour is yours ?

14. how will the powder coating hold up against stone chips?

15. Better than paint I imagine.

16. Track Focus Direct

It holds up really well and much better than paint (as said above). They are easy to touch up should the worst happen or you can send it back for re-coating. I've had them though showers of blown engine parts and debris on track and the finish survived!

17. Have you got any road test data on these yet?

Not interested in track data as I wont be tracking the car.

18. Track Focus Direct

I will have an intercooler for my car tomorrow, so then I can get cracking with photographing, test fitting and data logging. Its more than capable of cooling inducted air for road use, so I'm not sure what you are interested in seeing, but I can log some data of a couple of runs so you can see the IATs and recovery time.

19. That's great thanks
    Im looking for road figures against the standard intercooler.
    Can you monitor coolant temps too?

20. Track Focus Direct

I can do both those things but on the road it will be difficult to get a comparison and useful result (especially in winter temperatures), and on different days the ambient temps may differ

21. Black mate

22. Found this post by ktec on the other site, is any of this information of any use to your testing?

Ok, one of the most common questions we get asked is which is the best intercooler for the 225/R26. Having thoroughly tested our intercoolers in the past I thought it time to do some back to back testing today.

For these tests we used 3 intercoolers, our uprated alloy intercooler with 50mm core, the Forge alloy intercooler and our larger alloy intercooler with its 80mm core. We wanted to carry out a series of tests and these included wieght, inlet temperature (measured at the inlet manifold) at cruise, inlet temperature at full throttle run, core temperature after full throttle run and air flow through the core of the intercooler (to the radiator). The figures below are taken from an average of 3 runs.

The tests were conducted this morning on our rolling road where the ambient air temperature was a steady 20 degrees C. The car remained in a fixed position on the rollers and the cooling fan remained in the same position throughout testing. We also used an animomiter to measure the air flow through the core to what sort of restriction the intercooler would cause to air getting to the radiator.

First up was our 50mm intercooler, this weighs in at just 3.5kg. At a 60mph cruise the inlet temp measured by the Renault diagnostic CLIP was 23 C and at wide open throttle the inlet temps peaked at 39 C. As soon as the WOT run was complete the core temperature was measured at 44 C. Air flow through the core was measured at 560 fpm.

Next up was the Forge intercooler, this weighs in at 7.3kg. At a 60mph cruise the inlet temp measured by the Renault diagnostic CLIP was 25 C and at wide open throttle the inlet temps peaked at 46 C. Where our 50mm intercooler peaked at 39 C, the Forge inlet temps were still climbing at the red line with each additional run. As soon as the WOT run was complete the core temperature was measured at 54 C. Air flow through the core was measured at 460 fpm.

Finally we tested our new 80mm intercooler, this weighs in at 6.3kg. At a 60mph cruise the inlet temp measured by the Renault diagnostic CLIP was 25 C and at wide open throttle the inlet temps peaked at 31 C. As soon as the WOT run was complete the core temperature was measured at 38 C. Air flow through the core was measured at 430 fpm.

23. Good find. Does it say what boost pressure was used? Im guessing standard boost.

Be nice to see figures for the 60mm and 90mm intercoolers.

Anyone know how thick the forge core is?

24. Did they not test a standard intercooler?

25. All tested at 1.1 bar, so stage 1 map i guess.

cant find any info on standard intercooler temps, etc.

26. Its a ahame about the lack of info on the standard intercooler as that is what will be coming off nearly all the cars.

Surprised on the weight of the forge core.

27. The forge cooler is slightly heavier, but maybe thats because its bar and plate core design?

we already know the forge and pace units are alot better than the standard intercooler, so if the airtec unit equals or exceeds the above intercooler results, then we will know how good/efficent it is?

28. Track Focus Direct

I wouldn't get too hung up about weight if it does the job at the right price. The recovery time has been proved good on the Airtec coolers and also the lack of heatsoak.

The standard one is terrible so its not really worth spending time on it. I remapped my car with Stage 1 within 12 hours of ownership and a quick blast up the road with a DashDaq hooked up to it showed me that the standard intercooler was far from up to the job! I had it into the 40's through 2 gears and the ambient was about 5 degress IIRC!

29. The weight is a big issue as im building a stripped out weekend toy.

The Forge unit is more than double the weight like for like and restricts too much air to the coolant radiator for my liking. I know how fast coolant temps can rise when sat in slow moving traffic.

What is the weight of the 95mm Airtec cooler?

Is there no chance of a 60mm or even a 50mm option will do as 95mm is is just too big for my planned 300bhp going by the ktec figures?

30. Track Focus Direct