Airtec Intercooler

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Mark., Feb 20, 2014.

1. End tank design makes a huge difference to how the air will flow through the core. You want to disperse as much air across the entire core possible.

Didn't realise this was for a MK3. Thought it was for a MK2 so was comparing to others ive seen for this model, my mistake.

2. Track Focus Direct

Track Focus Direct RSM Trader

I merely said the end tanks were 'interesting' because I also wrongly assumed it was for a Megane 2. On the Megane 3 and many other cars, there can be challenges to overcome designing intercoolers and lack of available space is the main one, so that explains the interesting shape. Its clear from the info on Ktec's website that they have carefully selected tube & fin for its benefits in ambient airflow to the radiator behind. Let us know how the car is when its fitted.
    This thread is getting quite educational now :-)

3. Indeed, apologies for taking it off subject but it's interesting to find out just how much R&D goes into these. I've found it very interesting at the least.

Will keep you all posted :smile:

4. I genuinely didn't know this was an issue with our cars which is why I asked. As you can probably tell I take a keen interest in cooling on a car. More boost, leads to more heat which means more cooling is needed but still only a limited supply of air to transfer the heat to.

Im more prevention is better than repair and its served me well for year's.
    When will your radiators be ready?

5. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

I've learnt a hell of a lot about inter coolers from this thread. Didn't realise there was so much involved!

6. Track Focus Direct

7. You can see why it might cause cooling issues with 250s, I hope they do some proper testing with it fitted....

8. Track Focus Direct

Yes that's it. They will be available from me also when they release along with an offer and exclusive colour scheme. http://www.trackfocusdirect.com/sho...ntercooler-upgrade-with-Air-Ram-scoop/7405094

Not all bar and plate cores are the same. The airtec ones have excellent ambient air flow and that have been used for years in cars with smaller grill apertures and poor cooling systems.
    I suppose you could open up the top grill on high powered cars?

9. What price will you be selling the r26 IC at? Discounted forum rates?

10. EDIT. oops I used wrong user

11. Track Focus Direct

Initially, the forum offer will be freepost (saves £15) and the RenaultSport colour scheme (should you choose it) will be free of charge.

12. Any pics of the colour scheme?

13. Track Focus Direct

Not yet. Powder coating next week hopefully. :smiley:

14. Cool. Think il be going for a black IC with airtec written in red anyway :smile:

15. Track Focus Direct

Cool :wink:

16. Any estimates on the 250/265 unit price out of interest? I need as much time as possible to convince myself/comfort my wallet.

17. Any pictures of the Airtec mk2 intercooler thats not fitted to a car?
    Also any ideas on how the Airtec cooler compares against the Forge unit?

18. Track Focus Direct

I couldn't tell you because its too soon but I would expect it to be in the 450-500 band but don't quote me :wink:

No pics yet - next week hopefully.
    We don't have any comparisons but if we get it fitted in time, it will be tested with datalogging at the Nurburgring later this month and also used on the rolling road for stage 2 development during April/May.

19. No probs. I'm curious to how it compares to the forge unit, as i might swap from Forge to Airtec if its worthwhile...
    The Forge unit is already proven to be efficient at 500bhp on track, so curious to see if theres much benefit from that massive 95mm core! :smile:

20. Track Focus Direct

Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing how it works. I can get good data from the track with my own data logging but the ambients aren't really high enough at this time of year to get a good test.

21. There is a guy who already had one fitted two months ago and tested etc and rs tuning stage 1 him with it on

22. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

If its closer to 450 expect them to sell plenty off them, Much better option over the Ktec/Forge item and cheaper to boot!

23. Will black be aailable johnny or just plain silver ?

24. When's this happening then? Seen a few focus RS and VXR's running these now I've been looking and heard no bad reports!!

25. Track Focus Direct

Silver, black and 1 other colour

26. Track Focus Direct

Within a couple of weeks for the Mk2. Mk3 will take a couple of months at least.
    The quality is superb and you get a 3 year warranty based on unlimited mileage! :-)

27. Are you testing a powder coated cooler?

28. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Fantastic offer on the warranty.

29. If anything goes wrong with the intercooler in the 3 year period is this a straight swap warranty. Send it back to you and get a new replacement?

Will you be offering a cheaper 60mm intercooler for those who arent forged and dont do track days?

30. Track Focus Direct

Yes why? In previous testing, coating hasn't impacted cooling ability.

31. Track Focus Direct

Normally its a straight swap. Some things can be repaired, such as re-powder coating.

At this stage there are no plans to offer a cheaper alternative. I think this is already about the cheapest anyway!

32. I want a black one so more interested in the figures with the powder coat.

In your tests what was the difference between coated and not?

33. What is the price? If you have already said sorry I missed that.

34. Track Focus Direct

On the cars that have been tested, there was no difference. In theory there should be a difference but in reality, its negligible and too small to measure.

£449 posted for the Mk2 one.

35. Any progress on a lower grille for the Phase 1 bumper?

36. Track Focus Direct

Funny you should mention grilles because today is our development day for the Phase 2 one, I will post some pictures later on. We have been discussing the potential market for Mk2 (Ph1 & Ph2) and also Mk3. Maybe you can help me... how long was the Phase 1 Megane in production for and how many were sold vs Phase 2?

Regards,
    Jonny

37. Hi Johnny,

You can view Renault sales figures for models that have stopped production on their heritage page:
    http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/roadcars/heritage
    Just keep pressing the year dates across the top until you reach the car you are interested in.

38. Track Focus Direct

Thanks mate. I'll take a look!
    We had a good day today and I am confident the Ph2 grille package will turn out great. :-)