250 Aircon not very cold

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Scott Lewis Chambers, Jul 5, 2020.

1. I keep noticing my air con isn't very cold. It doesn't have climate control buttons pad. It's just an A/C dial face. Idk if I'm used to the clio 182 that used to be like an icebox after a few minutes. Where as the Meg is sort of cold ish air but still really warm in the car, I had it regassed a while ago.

Is it common or is something wrong?

2. Tex

Tex

Might need regassing and/or may have a leak in the system somewhere. Have you tried to get it refilled?

3. My AC works only a few times, because I travel very little with the car... but every time I go out with the car, the AC is turned on and I can guarantee that it's really cold, so much, that sometimes I have to turn it off or increase the temperature a little!
    MK3 2012, and AC never recharged.
    PS: I have auto climate control

4. A/C should be service after 5 year from new, then every 2 year. that should included removing old gas, checking for leak with a vaccum leak test, then a refill with a fresh new gas including dye.

Tex likes this.
  5. I think the meganes have a clutchless design for the ac, but i could be wrong.

If that is the case though i would definatley get it checked and regassed as the gas is a lubricant for the system.

If there is no clutch to disengage by turning the ac of the system will run without lube and eventually fail.

Even though the first problem was "just" a gas leak.

6. Had my R26 regassed twice now but must have a leak somewhere. Passenger side is notably warmer than the driver's side so not sure what that implies? They did put some dye in it last time thta shows under UV but didn't get around to buying a UV torch to check. Ren7Oaks said it might be dash out to fix it which could be expensive, so not sure whether to fix it or annual regass?

7. Megane do have a clutch on the Air con compressor, so if it is low on gas as detected by the pressure switch it will not engage thus protecting the compressor.

Worth checking if the clutch engage when live, you do this by bridging some wire from battery directly to clutch connector and see if it clicks. A very difficult job due to lack of space...

CaptainHavok likes this.
  8. Even if the car is 10 years old and still blowing out cold and not been charged up it won’t need the gas taking out for checking. A vacuum test is very hard to identify where a leak is to start with, only way to do it is to put dye in it or to put ofn and do a proper pressure test. Problem with loosing gas constantly, it’s not the gas that’s a lubricant but the oil will come with it and will knacker the compressor out

9. Mine has a leak (R26) - it was regassed and passed the vac test at the time. The system cannot legally be regassed if there is a known leak on the system. Mine remained blowing cold air for about 6 months before it stopped working. After another 6 months or so, I took it back to the garage and they confirmed that there was no gas left.

I’ve bought a full seal kit in preparation as I understand that the pipe connection to the condenser is common to split and cause a slight leak over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk