Airbox mod

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Cb225, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Can you use a standard air filter if doing the airbox mod?

Cheers

2. Yep why not

3. Cheers. Just wondered really with them been the paper type. Didnt no if it was better to have the foam type.

4. A performance filter will all ways be better than a paper one, just get one in time when you can mate

5. Cheers steve thats great. Thats just what i has in mind. The boxes i have seen just seem to have had a section cut out. Would drilling a series of holes with say a 25mm drill bit have the same effect? Just thought that way might keep the box abit stronger.

6. i don't think it makes any odds how you do it as airflow will be less restricted either way.

7. are there some more infos/pics available to this mod ?

8. 767994d4141a927a4bd13a401a10efea.jpg
    Mine has an itg panel filter. Sounds better now it's been cut open

9. I did the chop last week and I think it sounds perfect now

10. have you put a bit if piping to the box from the front or just cut the hole out??

11. Decided to have a go and do mine myself. Just stripped the battery and tray down and noticed the pipe ends there, is this right or should it connect elsewhere?

Also when drilling the hole to make it larger is there a pipe you put to that or just leave it open?

Cheers.

12. Removed the pipe altogether, put it all back together and actually sounds pretty sweet :smile:. Wasn't getting any induction sound before but now getting a fair bit.

13. Can you hear the standard recirc now? Can't hear mine at all

14. I can't no. Only the induction if I plant my foot a bit.

15. any immediate noticeable improvement to low down throttle response or that?

16. To be honest I've not noticed any difference in response. Only difference I've noticed is the tone when your between 2-3k revs.

Only did mine because I'm getting it remapped next month so getting a few little bits done before then. Whether it makes much difference with the map I'm not sure.

17. I was thinking about doing this but surely this would let hot air in!
    Cheers

18. Not noticed yet as I've not driven it much since, others on here that have done theirs previously will have a better idea.

19. sen

sen

What tools are needed to get to the air box?

20. sen

sen

I've read on here I think, the intercooler sorts that out so doesn't matter about hot air from engine bay.

21. sen

sen

What tools did you need for this mate? Gonna try mine tomorrow.

22. Ah sweet I know what I will be doing once I have got my k and n panel filter.
    Does anyone run a cold air feed to the cut out?

23. Tools you'll need are 10mm socket to get battery off (had to use a 8mm to get one off to make it easier on the positive end.
    13mm to get battery clamp off and battery tray. Screwdriver to get jubilee clip off air intake hose.
    Phillips Screwdriver to unscrew the panel filter part.

Need to unclip a few cables to get some space and wiyh a bit of jiggling about itll come out. I dont have patience otherwise i'd include a bit of that :wink:

24. I removed the airfeed completely as it serve no purpose. Didn't run anything to it, just left it open.

25. sen

sen

Thanks a lot for this! Probably end up having to get the bus to work tomorrow but I'll give it a go anyway!

26. Ha, its not too bad to be honest mate. Bit fiddly in places but that's the downside to having hands like shovels.

27. sen

sen

What did you cut the airbox with? Managed to get it out but stood here with a bread knife! Ha!

28. Dremel is a good tool for doing the mod

29. sen

sen

I should have thought about this before starting shouldn't?

30. I just drilled two holes and cut the rest with a jigsaw, then sanded the edges to smooth it off to make it look decent.

31. Im going to guess he doesn't have a jigsaw... lol

nox_46 likes this.
  32. Quite possibly. Although I would certainly go against the idea of a bread knife lol could take a while.

33. sen

sen

Correct!!

34. does anybody have experience with modified stock airbox ?
    please show some photos how to make it