Airbag light

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Nigelo, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Hey guys

I put this in my car thread but need a bit of help so opening out the readership!

Bought some leather seats (finally) from a rs250 that had a frontal collision, setting off the steering wheel airbag. The seats themselves seem grand, but the driver side one is triggering a check airbag light.

I've picked up some info...

• Seems the connectors used to give a lot of gip (although I sprayed contact cleaner and checked the joins) in mk2s and others
    • If the airbag deployed on the steering wheel it might have triggered something within the seat mechanism (pretensioner? )
    Anyone suggest aanything specific to try?

2. Tbf i would imediatley thing yeah it may have triggered something in seat BUT i dont see how the ohm-age can change in the individual units whether they be pre tensioners or bags.other than that i would be tempted to try and take stuff apart as much as possible in the seat (if even possible) to test ohms on the units in the seat

Nigelo likes this.
  3. Yeah, something is definitely odd that way. Going to call with a local auto electrician tomorrow and see what he thinks.

Even though the connectors seem grand, without taking the seat out again I can't tell if something else is loose.

Can't be a fault with the airbag unit? I'd guess it's sealed so it'd either be grand and unfired, or needing replaced with half the seat hanging out! Lol.

There's a sensor to stop the airbag firing if the set is too close to the steering wheel, so wonder if that had been tripped as well!

4. Sorted today at the local auto spark... although I didn't get speaking to the fellow doing the work, the gist seemed to be that the electric seats don't have the same airbag setup as the stock cloth, so a little re-wiring was needed.

... next job....