Airbag Light Proper Solution!

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Beau, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Been reading loads of posts about people fitting Recaro seats or aftermarket seats and this triggering the airbag light on the dash due to the new seats missing various airbags/sensors the old seats had.

I have been able to change the airbag ECU settings for some time on the Clio 172/182 as my track car had all airbags removed due to change of steering wheel, seats, harness etc and dash lights drive me mad!

I have done a bit of research and digging into the Mk3 Megane(As I now have one) and I am now able to do the same on these. Basically access the airbag ECU, tell it what airbags are missing and reset.

This means the light comes on and off during the ignition cycle and then stays off as it should. Saves all the messing around with resistors, which I really don't like doing.

I should also be able to do this on the MK2 Megane, MK3 Clio and a few other Renault models. I won't know for definate until I have tried a couple though.

So in short it is possible to sort without resistors!

Mossyv6, Gavin. and matt e like this.
  2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

You able to offer this to others?

Mine has been on for years, Not that bothered by it as ive taped over the warning lights but the warning message on the dash is annoying at times

Beau and Gavin. like this.
  3. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

It'd be good if you could share the solution for this, many people have this issue and if it's an easy fix it'd be a great help.

Beau likes this.
  4. I don't mind sharing and it is any easy fix with a laptop and some expensive software!! It is not something cheap to do just for one car, but I would be happy to do this for others. I have done it on quite a few Clios and just ask for £20 to try and recover some of my costs. It removes airbag light, serv light and the little red seatbelt light at the corner of the central display. No warning message on the display either. The airbag system functions as it should.

5. Have you done this on the Mk3 Megane?

Doing it in the Mk2 and Mk3 Clio and Mk2 Megane is very easy with Clip, but the Mk3 Megane appears to use a different approach requiring a config file to be loaded in, rather than just setting some options.

6. Yep. Completed successfully yesterday on a Megane RS 250. I was unsure if it would work at first as you say on the PH2 Clio and MK2 Megane it appears much easier. Be good to try another car, but I am fairly confident it will work.

7. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Where are you located?

8. I am in Orpington, Kent.

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Ah shame, down at Donington on Monday and hoped you would be close

10. I'd be interested in this too, about to fit an aftermarket wheel to my R but don't want the airbag light on. What I would ask is that is it easy to reset it back to OEM in the event I sell the car and have to fit the OEM wheel back in place? Thanks.

11. Hi. Yes easy to return back to standard. Would need to just go back into the airbag ECU and adjust the settings again.

Lewis likes this.
  12. If it helps the boys at stagex motorsport one of which is based in Coventry can also do this as sort of stuff.

13. Just to confirm I have successfully removed the airbag light and red seatbelt light on a forum members @Mattpitcher Mk3 Megane RS 250 Track car today. This car had all airbags removed, seats and steering wheel.

I am able to show you what airbag sensors the airbag ECU is not seeing(removed) and what ones are still recognised.

Once the the airbag ECU is reconfigured the light goes on and off as it should on starting the ignition and then stays off. No fault messages or red seatbelt light.

Jamie230 likes this.
  14. i would like this done... are you using the renualt com ? or could you tell me what software you are using ?
    i live in scotland so it would be a bit excessive for me to travel but i would be willing to pay you the £20 for the information.
    or could i send you my airbag ecu for you to fix.

15. Google brought me here!

I do exactly need what has been discussed here!

I do have access to DT4 and did follow a few tips/configs that I found online and seemed plausible, but sadly the check airbag light is still on.

@Beau Is there any way that you could share your way of doing this remotely as my car is a couple of hundred miles away! I'd happily pay you for the info!

Or does anyone else have an idea?