Air Noise When Accelerating

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Mash, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Hello,

I've just been to look at a used RS 250 and am interested in buying it.

I noticed when test driving it that there is quite a loud air noise when accelerating, sounds like it's coming from the passengers side in the engine. After looking at the engine the car has a cone air filter installed (which I assume isn't standard) as well as what I think is a dump valve.

After doing some research I've come across multiple explanations from vacuum leaks to exhaust problems. I've never owned a car with a turbo before either, so could it possibly be it spooling? or a combination of the cone air filter, turbo and dump valve making it louder than you would expect?

I know it's not something that's easy to diagnose without a video (which unfortunately I don't have) but any pointers as to whether it sounds like a problem or not would be great.

Cheers!

2. I have just purchased a Megane RS 250 that has a induction kit, forge recirculation valve and larger intercooler. It has quite a few other modifications too.The induction noise is very loud(and addictive!). If it drove ok it is quite likely just the induction noise you could hear.

3. Sounds like that's probably what it was then! Car drove perfectly as far as I can tell, but then again it's the only RS 250 I've driven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Yeah induction kit noise almost certainly

5. Bet if I heard it now I'd appreciate it much more instead of looking for problems haha

6. Yeah it’s a very satisfying noise at high rpms when letting of the throttle, driving past high walls or building the echo off them is a head turner