R26 Air con delete

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Korky, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Does anyone run air con delete using the Clio 1*2 crank pulley and a 4pk810sf stretch belt?
    I know a few of the 197 guys do I’m just wanting to see if anyone on here has experience of it?

I know the pms kit is available and a few other remove part of he A.C pump and just use the pulley, I’m just trying to come up with the neatest solution

Thanks in advance

2. There's no need to fit alternative pulley or belt u can remove air con and pump at no cost.there is a link in my build thread on how to do this.

3. From what I've read and seen, the Clio 197 cup bracket and pulley fit, apart from the Pure M/sport one its the neatest solution.
    It's the option im considering as it looks more original and like it should be there... not that you can see it like :laughing:

Not sure on part number & cost though but could find out bud. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

The cheapest and easiest way to do this is to remove the internals of your existing pump, so the only part that is left is the empty casing and the pulley with the bearing inside, this weighs bugger all compared to the original pump, this is what i have done to mine after looking for alternatives, that part in the picture i believe is in the region of £190, a replacement pump from ebay is going to be no where near that price. 20151027_144459_zpszvm312tt.jpg

Graham, Mikey4410 and Big Uno like this.
  5. Yep, the 197 cup/ cup racer pulley fits in the original position, part numbers can be seen on the bracket

0e40b4c36db6bf48ecf6f3f2c5fcc958.jpg

5d6dba3399ff89d8f4853e7b207cdc5f.jpg

The air con pump internals removal looks to be a simple method too.

Both of those options still mean you have an tensioner and belt kit to replace every 36k

The stretch belt option I’m considering means you have to replace a £10 belt every 36k and gets rid of the tensioner.

887140cea4f3927f6cb98544bd4b7e91.jpg
    11f86c2f91be07bbb1279b4ca79f00f0.jpg

Big Uno and Trophyboy like this.
  6. Thats Interesting pal
    Has it been tried and tested? Any issues at all?? For the sake of a £10 belt and ditching the A/C its another cheap option

Big Uno likes this.
  7. APM

APM RSM Trader

8. Not that I know of, I’ve only found a handful of people that actually run this setup mind

Thanks for the reply, from what I’ve read, the cup racer also runs the Clio 1*2 crank pulley too, so I would be required to change this too wouldn’t I?

9. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

I thought people with 1*2 use the megane crank pulley as it has a key way but the pulleys are they same other than that

10. Matt, we are talking about two different pulley’s here, effectively you are correct, people who supercharge or turbo a 1*2 use the keyway’d Megane cambelt crank pulley.

However, I am talking about the 1*2 auxiliary crank pulley which is smaller and lighter than the Megane counterpart.

matt e likes this.
  11. Well, using the 1*2 pulley works, you have to trim around 5mm of the plastic cam cover but I have done around 10 miles and seems fine so far!

Pulley the pulley off a 172 engine from the unit, gave it a lick of satin black, all is good.

Size comparison
    797f7beeff9742b2021449662b8b802a.jpg

Remember if you are doing this you will need to lock the timing on the engine.

Finished
    a816624317f6dc8be89b9c0143a67991.jpg
    78c52694daf91f7e754f3383aae9b8af.jpg

12. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

the air con pipe that runs over the engine mount. does it plug in behind the carpet at the back of the engine bay or does it need cutting?

13. Behind the carpet 10mm bolt on both

matt e likes this.
  14. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

I got my mits on a clio 1*2 aux pulley today so going to try what Korky has done too. Seems like the best option IMO if you dont mind spending the money on the new pulley.