R26 air box mod

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by jimboy2, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Fancy giving this a go at the weekend. Any one got a pic of how much to cut out?
    May do a guide if it's needed?

2. 20130410_154622_HDR_zpse26d03ee.jpg

This is how i cut mine :smile:

3. make the hole BIGGER than that but not too much to weaken the box

4. Oh ok how much bigger. As that box lies do I go further left and down above that bracket?

5. i think I went 5 more squares up and about 7 down as you look at it in picture, you will see what is possible as I think there is something on the inside that strengthens it don't go beyond that. Hope it some how helps

6. it is really easy to do just "lube ya nuts" and bolts as you don't want to snap a battery tray bolt, mine is 6 yr old and they came out ok just don't rush

7. You have confused me a bit by going up that would take it round the side of the air box wouldnt it?
    Think battery tray should come out easy enough have recently had short shift fitted so it all came out then

8. sorry 5 to the left and 7 down :rolleyes:

9. i didnt want to go much bigger than that. it exposes the filter to the elements.
    also is there anymore gain/benefit from cutting a bigger hole?

10. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

Im guessing same principle for the dci guys? Hopefully doing this this weekend

11. I just guessed bigger was better and the battery covers it from the elements not had any bother with mine with k+n Pannell

12. Ah yes that makes more sense.
    Will take some photos along the way and do a mini guide I'm sire it's pretty straight forward anyway but may help people like me in the future

13. nice one fella :smile: I never knew what it was

14. What does this mod actually do?

15. Lets more air in I guess, bit more noise but not like a cone

16. How would i go about removing my battery tray if the nuts are rounded and rusted?

17. Drill them out and get new one from your local fasteners.

18. I dont have a drill :blush: haha.

Ill need to get a shot of my dads one when the time comes

19. I'm not seeing the point.. Cones get heat soak, the original unit is built to suck air up from the bumper. Sticking a hole in the original ruins the original air flow, poss losing power?

20. Better get an inlet SRI or CAI

21. the original one has a smaller hole reducing (limiting) the amount of air going in, sure its going to be warmer than a standard set up but its a free mod apart from the cost of a map tweak after its done if you want it doing as I did

22. But a bigger hole in a forced induction car? How does the bigger hole get more air in the engine?

23. done it earlier this morning. was very easy to do!

and who cares it sounds amazing!

24. Well done :-)

25. I guess that's the point. Is this to increase power or noise? If you increase the noise, are you reducing power?

26. Its hardly going to lose 100bhp or gain that much, its not really going to make any difference in power. I guess its just the noise.

27. Exactly. I can't tell if it's lost or gained anything. Could loose 20bhp and i doubt I could tell. I'm not one for chasing numbers.

28. I guess I'm just old. Butchering the standard air box to make it sound louder which could damage the car (or lose power) seems like a strange idea. At least a back box chop interferes with the outbound air, not the air going into the precious engine. If power is not important, why buy a meg?

29. A sound video´ll help

30. How would it damage the engine? The air is still passing through the filter isnt it?

31. But you 100% haven't risked the integrity of the seal? Or have any plastic burrs that might work themselves in to the engine?

32. But the filter would stop this wouldn't it

33. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

I thought thats what a filter did also? And you wouldnt be daft enough to leave swarf in there anyway if you did do it would ya lol

34. Well you've taken a big hole out of the original air box, who knows if that's enough to distort the shape enough to create a gap on the edge of the filter?

35. Paul at RS Tuning told me to get the airbox mod done, deffo gives a bhp gain as well as a bit of induction noise, nice.

36. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

Hardly

37. Can +1 this, and the best way is to increase the hole diameter not cut a square although it is easier...

38. Ok so if someone like Paul is saying it's worthwhile, can someone write up the right way to do it and what it's proven to do, then get it stickied by a mod? At the moment it seems like a lot of plastic hacking for a bit of extra noise.

39. Very easey to do mate, I'm in notts if your struggling , I can help you out , cheers Steve

40. Dan

Dan

be good to see correct way of doing this..