R26 AC Compressor

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by ewant81, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Have been suffering from weak AC in my car and also a nasty rough bearing sound whenever it is running. Had it regassed a few times and they say there isn't any leaks in the system. It does cool the air but not really all that efficiently.

Took it to a renault mechanic at the weekend and he reckons that the bearing in the compressor is shot leading to poor performance. Looking to get this repaired but I understand that the OEM AC compressor for this will no doubt be expensive.

Does anyone know where I can get a good compressor cheaply?

Has anyone replaced their AC compressor?

2. Replaced mine in my old 197, it nearly ate through a brand new aux belt.

Check eBay or breakers if you want a second hand one, and compressors from other models may fit. I'm sure someone would be able to confirm this.

3. Euro car parts seems to say that the receiver dryer also needs to be replaced at the same time? Any ideas..

4. Yes it dose in an ideal world but its up to you.
    Let me put it this way if your car was under warranty Renault wouldn't pay for one to be fitted if you was fitting a compressor!

5. Got a quote for £532 for a new compressor, aux belt, re-gas + labour. Pretty bloody expensive but thinking it would be a good idea to get the AC working properly again..but what are the chances that the ecp compressor will last a good while?

6. Am in two minds whether to spend the money or not... :-S

7. fitting the AC is DIY

8. Its broken -> it wants fixing. Simples. Replace the receiver for what they cost you'll only regret it otherwise especially as it's been gasses several times already.

OEM compressor is delphi so the ECP is 99.9% going to be same part as you'd get from Renault without the box tax. £500 notes isn't too bad for changing it over tbh as long as they aren't using a cheap compressor and dryer there is probably a couple of hours labour involved especially if they haven't done one before.

9. Yeah, already decided on getting it fixed as my friend pointed out that if I use the AC then it is just better to fix it. Will speak to them to make sure they change the receiver dryer as well, worth doing as it might freshen the system up.

Thanks for the feedback on the ecp part, am hoping that it is pretty much the OEM part.

Will update this once it has been done (should be Wednesday) to see if this has fixed my problems with the AC.

10. All done and the AC runs much quieter and much better now. For those that are doing it, it is worth replacing the auxiliary belt at the same time.

Big difference in the temperature with the AC on now. It worked before but was a little pathetic, not it is properly cold :smile: