A rattle to do with clutch?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by moono16v, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Hi all. Only today I noticed a new noise as I turned the stereo off and just listened to the new kid box chop!

Anyway at a set of lights in neutral handbrake on I noticed a mechanical rattle and if I pressed the clutch down it stopped??? Any ideas? The car drives fine and gearbox feels fine.

2. Only a guess but dmf? Although I thought that rattled as you were engaging gears if it was getting a bit iffy

3. Release bearings ?

4. Cheers Steve although I don't know anything mechanically about cars is this serious or is the clutch on the way out? It's just ticked over to 45k today.

5. Sounds like the release bearing to me. It gets replaced at the same time as clutch anyway. And at 45k if it's still the original I doubt there will be much more life in it if it's been driven properly

6. Probably the DMF

7. It'll be the dual mass mate without fail sometimes if ya press the clutch pedal down slowly ya can feel the dmf vibration through the pedal.

8. So is the DMF part of the clutch or is it replace both clutch and DMF? Big money??

9. If I was doing the job id go single mass flywheel and clutch kit and concentric slave cylinder covers everything needed then.

10. Best to change both when there's access to everything.

11. Could be the input shaft bearing? No noise when pressing the clutch because the transmission is disengaged.

12. The noise dissappear when clutch pressed cos the preasure centralises the centre of the dmf taking out all the play which no play no rattle.