R26 72k service

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Pagey3103, Oct 1, 2014.

1. It's come to service time again, it's an 07 with 71k but belts were done at 5 years. Does anyone know what the next service is likely to involve ....simple oil and filters or a bit more?

thanks

simon

2. Thats spot on thanks. Time for ads to get me a price for sparks and brake fluid :smile:

3. yhuvu7yb.jpg

Quick bump for anyone who's service is coming up.

4. Have you got something similar for Megane RS mk3?

5. u7ageqe4.jpg
    There you are mate it's on ktec's website btw

6. Well I'd say the Ktec info isn't worth the paper isn't (not) printed on.

I have brochures here for MkIII 265 and 275 and they both say service interval is 1yr/18k miles which ever is sooner.

Also have the brochure for the 197/175/225&R26 and they are all 1yr/12k miles, so they do change.

7. Thats bizzarre....Why does the mk3 have an extra 6k miles between services, i thought it was (in essence) the same engine.

8. I contacted RST for a price on the 72k service stated to him that I wanted sparks, oil, filters, brake fluid and coolant as the belts were done at 5 years by previous owner. They queried whether the water pump had been done and if it had I wouldn't need coolant.

i checked my service book and there is nothing to say the coolant has been changed and there's no option on my service book for a water pump.

my question. Is the water pump changed as standard when belts are done and they have just not ticked the coolant

OR is it likely the water pump and coolant have not been changed yet.

What happens if a water pump gives up and how can I check if its old before taking in.

Any insight appreciated

thanks

si

9. The reason they are asking if the water pump has been done is if it fails it will knacker the engine as it is driven by the cam belt. It is not part of the 5yr service but is always recommended to be done as only around £50 plus coolant.

10. So if it hasn't been done do I then need to replace the cam belt too or just pump and coolant and reuse the current 2 year old cambelt

11. It depends is the short answer. Some companies do , some do ! It should be done really tough at the same time.

Sorry to be vague.

12. yer my brochure and my service sheet for my 265 says every 2 years or 12.5k. Weird eh!

13. If you want the pump replaced then yes you will need a full cam belt kit fitting again. This is why its recommended to change the pump at the same time. Nobody worth their salt would advise reusing the old belt. You could just change the coolant and leave the pump though. How many miles has it done?

You sure it's 2 years for a normal service on a 265?

14. 72k when she fires up there is a minor squeek and water chugging noise but this goes away when it's warmed up.

Maybe this is a sign of an old pump.

15. The squeak and the water noise is more likely blocked scuttle drains and an amount of water that has collected in there. Can you hear it sloshing around when you first set off? If so, have a look at the million threads on this on here.

Re the water pump, you might be lucky and it will be fine. On the other hand it could seize up and wreck the belt which it turn will damage the engine. It could just wear out and stop working. Nobody is going to give you a definitive answer as to what to do about it. It depends on your aversion to risk. Only way to be sure is get it changed which will mean doing the cam belt again. On the other hand, doing this could just be a waste of money if the pump is okay.

Tough call to be honest.

Edit: have you checked any invoice you may have for the belt to see if the previous owner had the pump done?

16. Yep even on the service sheet. Ive emailed renault though to ask why its only a year for the 275, with the same engine!

17. Could be a safer than sorry situation tbf and I'll see how much it costs to fit the pump and decide. I have looked through the service book along with any invoices but can't see anything.

Didn't think about the scuttle drains, I'll give them a check.

thanks for the input.