60mm intercoolers of eBay ?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by hazzf1, Sep 10, 2013.

1. I think they will be a slight improvement, although they have the same amount of rows, they are slightly larger which can only be good. To put your mind at rest it might be worth measuring against the stock one, I think they are only about 10-15℅ more surface area and so sent mine back.

I have been told by the two main suppliers on eBay the 18 row coolers are coming back at the beginning of Feb so I'm going to wait for a bit.

2. Spooky, just had an email from winner racing and the new ones are available in two days, tube and fin style. I'm going to wait for confirmation on rows and size before ordering again.

3. In case anyone is interested in the ramblings on this thread, here is the new intercooler core soon to be available from Winner Racing on eBay. 18 rows, tube and fin I think and I'm guessing with a corresponding size increase.

New Intercooler.jpg

4. looking very nice

5. RSTuning

RSTuning RSM Trader RSM Trader

You really do get what you pay for, i ordered one to have a look at and the welding is pure crap! Would need a good couple of hours with the fig to make it better IMO!

6. Tis true, it's not the most elegant beast but it's £320 pounds cheaper than an equivalent Forge item. I can live with a few blemishes for that. I'm not an oil painting either ;-)

7. sigh. That 18 row one looks like it would cool significantly better, and allow more airflow through to the radiator.

Not happy that they didn't mention this on the page/after buying it.

8. Keiron how much did it cost you to send your 13 row one back?

9. Hello Chris,

I think using ParcelMoneky it cost me about £13, so not really much at all. I had specifically asked for the 17/18 row cooler however, and they sent me the 13 so I had truth, justice and arsey emails on my side!

10. I spoke to him and he said he'd happily swap it, but that the 17 row one is tube and fin not bar and plate, despite the extra area the btu's are very similar and the bar and plate is better construction. So I'm tempted to keep it tbh.

I'm not sure what to do :worried:

11. What's it's performance like paul? Good for a stage 1 or maybe even a stage 2?

12. Keep us updated keiron :smile:

13. It's been shipped, so will post up a proper post mortem with pictures and measurements when it arrives.

14. And a limk to the one you ordered :wink: woohoo lol

15. CookSport

CookSport RSM Trader

I agree with Paul, seen one of these. Welds are very very poor. Wouldn't be surprised if they cracked easily.

You do get what you pay for though!

16. Stop posting on here Josh , and get me some springs !

17. haha Dave told me they wouldn't have sent the 13 row one out had i mentioned i wanted the 18 row one.. and so its my fault as they changed the picture when they ran out.

18. I thought they had changed the picture as it was definitely 18 when I ordered it, as I had even asked in an e-mail.

19. A good friend of mine is a fabricator for Pro Alloy, he couldn't stop laughing when I was showing him photos of some of these intercoolers.

20. Ha ha me too

21. Ok...

I have managed to obtain a Forge intercooler at a price I couldn't refuse! So, it has been fitted now, and I shall carry out some more temp test's to see if the forge cooler is really worth the £500, and see what difference it is to the previous ebay cooler.

My Ebay cooler has been on with a stage 2 and had no problems at all. So lets see :smile:

22. Daz

Daz

^^ Sounds good!

23. Ok, I've got the forger cooler fitted...

Standard driving with it being 6oc outside... 8-10oc

Full throttle through 2nd 11-12oc

So although better, not sure its worth the extra unless, your on a track!

24. Excellent work. Thanks for the feedback !

25. Pretty sure its been stated before, but they all seem to come from the same manufacturer, so the winner racing one is the SAME as the GT performance one just the GT performance one has a much bigger mark up.

Appearance wise their all a copy of the forge ones!
    Although if i was ordering from china again, i'd want it agreed that i was getting the larger 17 row cooler not the smaller one (although i ended up with a 17 row cooler, after i bought mine some people were getting smaller 13 row ones sent to them)

26. 13 row one is bar and plate and the 17 row is tube and fin iirc?

27. No problem, I think a trip back to RS Tunning may be in order to see if it made any difference in power by changing to to the forge cooler! As my car is stage 2!

28. It turns out not, which was very confusing as that was what I was told. I have a brand new 18 row bar and plate cooler from China sat in the garage waiting for a decent day. Granted the welding isn't the best, but it means I have £300 for other toys going spare now.

29. Andy did you mean to say that they were significantly cheaper than Forge ones??

30. Keiron would you recommend a Winner Racing one then? Just wondered about them sending the wrong one?!

31. I buy intercooler from GPI Radiator a long time ago (may 2011 year). It is still in good condition:

ic1.jpg ic2.jpg ic3.jpg ic4.jpg

32. Thread resurrection ?
    I read nearly all of this and the conclusion I came to was they might be worth a punt but it seems most people tried to get the 18 row version which don't seem to be about, just 13/14 row on ebay.
    The reason I am considering one is my R26 (recently bought) has a decat and besides the drone getting on my nerves a bit I am going to struggle at MOT time. Plus, its had a remap by unknown tuner and I would like to ensure everything is safe. With that in mind I got a quote from RST for a sports cat and a map.. I am thinking if I am going to pay for a map I could get an intercooler upgrade and go to stage 2?
    Going for a sports cat, remap and a ProAlloy intercooler is pushing it a bit as I have just put new pads and discs all round and just about to put 4 new tyres on it...
    thoughts?

33. From what i gather from this thred is that it is prob worth just going for a branded one becasue as somebody stated these "tests" people where doing was a 3 sec full throttle up the road and that was it.

I am on the verge of buying a intercooler and i think from reading all this i will vet a branded one

34. thanks for that, which one were you thinking? I have a few months before MOT time so time to weigh things up but would be interested to know how you get on?
    Tbh I am a complete novice but my understanding is you are looking to sustain low intake temps with an intercooler upgrade to ensure things don't get too warm so any valid test would have to involve a bit of a thrashing over a reasonable time period?