275 6 years service, pulley

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by skyWalker22, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Hi there,I have a question about service at 75k miles or 6 years on Megane RS 275. On APMotorsport website: https://www.apmotorsport.co.uk/product-page/renault-megane-mk3-rs-cam-belt-change-kit

I noticed they offer the kit with Dephaser pulley with a code: 7701478459: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/H-wAAOSw5m9c1ywa/s-l1600.jpg
    on the spareparts list for this service interval which I got from my official service department, is another one - is the pulley on the crankshaft with a code: 8201059878:
    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/fXoAAOSwaFhe7SoG/s-l1600.jpg
    So which one to believe? And which is the right one?

2. Hi, Renault does not recommend the replacement of the dephaser pulley when replacing the timing belt.
    However, look on the forum and you will find that there is a lot of issue raised about the dephaser pulley even at low mileage. As the timing belt need to come off to replace the dephaser pulley and with the number of issues raised, it does makes sense changing it when the timing belt is due.
    Renault recommend replacing the crankshaft pulley when the timing belt is due but not everybody goes for the expense. Your call.

Hope this help

Seb

ironbrick and BillyA like this.
  3. Thank you for your answer. I will replace the crankshaft pulley, since its a recommendation from Renault. And I will leave the dephaser pulley as it is for now.

4. personally would do opposite replace DE-phaser leave crank

Brigsy likes this.
  5. I agree with you bobsan.

6. Why, any reasonable explanation?
    Some friend of mine, who had 260, 275 and the new 300, said that`s not necessary to change it, that dephaser pulley is like some variable for ignition timing, and if its "damaged", you noticed like the car is not responsive anymore like it used to be.
    But crankshaft pulley has some rubber inside of it (which can wear out), and thats why its a recommendation from Renault to change it.

7. You are correct that the dephaser pulley is use as a variable timing. It is also true that a faulty dephaser will make noise on start up and can be "feel". The explanation behind Renault not recommending the replacement of this item is they do not see this parts as a "consumable". Therefore it should last the lifespan of the engine.
    However, as mentioned earlier failure of the dephaser pulley is a very common issue on those engine.

If you do the timing belt replacement yourself, why not. If you do pay a lot for the labour, you might regret not changing it when having to pay again for the same labour.

The crankshaft pulley contain some rubber indeed. It's is a beefy/heavy parts that absorb "the shock" when air con compressor kick on/off and on engine startup. It drives the auxiliary belt and can be replaced easily without having to remove the timing belt. It also gives plenty (noisy) warning when falling apart.

skyWalker22 likes this.
  8. Thank you @Seb RS. This is what I wanted to hear, a confirmation of what I had in mind. Thank you. Now I know and Im sure into some mor things about this car :smile:

9. Awesome. At which mileage are you doing service?
    So you won`t change the polley on the crank shaft? Which I think is more important, since it has some rubber in it, and can cause (some) vibrations when due.

10. Sorry, only just seen this reply

No I am going to change the pulley as well. The kit includes everything :grinning:

And it’s on 65k. I had the cambelt replaced at 35k at Renault when it was 4 years old due to the famous tensioner warranty issue. But now it’s 11 years old and at 65k so it’s overdue based on age (but has barely been driven the last two years which is why I’ve not got round to it)

11. The crank pulley isn't included in the service kits because Renault doesn't list the pulley as a serviceable item. That kit also doesn't include it so you will need to buy it separately. £161 at RPD.

12. The crack pulley is on the list for this service here in my country, and with a reason, since there is some rubber inside of it, meant for absorbing vibrations. I changed it. Its surely more obligatory then the camshaft pulley, at least from my point of view.

13. Sorry Vulcan, you’re right. For some reason I was discussing the dephaser pulley.

Interesting - I’m not changing that pulley but then again it can be changed simply by removing the aux belt and locking the flywheel so it can be done easily enough after the cambelt job if it ever became a problem.