Sponsored By:  

450bhp golf gti Vs Megane rs snetterton 300

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by odinson, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Still uploading footage from the day at snetterton which was great fun and met fellow Megane owner Sam (gti-r) and managed what we can call some fun laps as we both had some oversteer in olaces.

Car felt great bar the tyres which i just don't seem to get on well with even after working pressures and I've finally started playing with the damping etc on the suspension so all trial and error but still epic fun.

Golf is 450bhp with kw clubsports ttrs brakes rc8 pads a048 tyres quaife diff and roll bars and is a good mate of mine, this was his back up car as his 600bhp s3 track car had a slight issue in the morning so went and picked this up.

git-r and Nigelo like this.
  2. Good Stuff mate really liking the shifter

BurnoutBram and odinson like this.
  3. Yeah, stop posting footage with the shifter please. I want one bad enough already..

odinson likes this.
  4. Great vid the car sounds just as good form the outside!

That was a fantastic day - trying to keep up with you was a highlight :smile:

Here are my vids - your car looks spot on through the corners.

This is the second time we were out. You'd been following me and I'm hoping you got this on vid as I had some oppo on the first right after the pit straight! I edited it straight to the bit where you pass:smile:

This was the first time, if you watch about 1:10 you do a nice drift..

Here's the quick golf too for your mate :smile:

And a 911 GT3, lol took 8 mins before he let me past!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    odinson likes this.
  5. It's always hard to tell on track days, as the driver makes such a big difference, but the Megane seems to totally destroy the Golf under braking and through the bends. It's only the power of the Golf that seems to keep you behind it.

Any idea what kind of times you do round Snetterton? Looks pretty quick.

odinson likes this.
  6. *fixed* :smile:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  7. My pal can drive but yes the Megane chassis is far better. Best ive done is a 2.16.something haha so much more time on me and the car but I've been playing around with pressures and settings and lugging a heavy passenger about and not really fussed about the times just throw in in glove box and look after the session

8. Sam just watched the videos. Class nate your driving was great buddy you brake later than me, not sure if it's the cars set up ATM but mine locks the fronts pretty easy. Should take mine out next time we are out and see what you think

git-r likes this.
  9. Too kind mate but I couldn't do that!

Did you get any footage of us? :smile:

odinson likes this.
  10. I have still need to upload it mate but will be done soon.

git-r likes this.
  11. oh happy days! hope the little drift came out ok!! :smile:

12. Oh don't worry about that I've got that haha I've also caught my massive one behind you hahaha

git-r likes this.
  13. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

That'a impressive how little you pull away Matt! As I've said y times before, just shows how good they are out the box with a good driver!

Can't say I've had any issues with finding the fronts locking, even with Xp10s but I always run a decent rear pad to keep it a lot more balanced. The feel terrible with aggressive front pads and stock rears imo

git-r likes this.
  14. Tbf i also have a 17st passenger but your right i was saying this on the day that it's all well and good fitting all the good bit but unless it's set up properly you won't make much ground. I think my pb is about 1.5 secs faster but even so that's not a big gap at all.

git-r likes this.
  15. I also helps that Sam's pretty hand behind the wheel haha

git-r likes this.
  16. Muchos awesomeness!!!

Patiently waiting....

Is it ready yet? :wink:

17. Yeah I spotted you had a passenger and thought it'd level the field a bit. You can see my driving getting more and more ragged lol as I'm trying to keep up. The standard car is already excellent, all the stuff on your car makes it better still yet still retains its niceness on the road.. grrr I must stop thinking of modifying!!!

odinson likes this.
  18. My standard pads I fitted on Monday are dead. 1.5 trackdays lol.
    At £70 a set it's not too bad but could do with something a little longer lasting. Don't want to spend much tho.. any suggestions?

odinson likes this.
  19. i think your a lot smoother then i am same cars you'd be the faster man I'd say

git-r likes this.
  20. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

PF Z Rated

git-r likes this.
  21. You're very kind but I have at least ten years on you!!

odinson likes this.
  22. And,, er... those vids that were downloading???

:smile:

odinson likes this.
  23. Sorry dude I'm away this weekend I'll sort them once I'm home haha

git-r likes this.
  24. What rear pads do you use Jamie?

25. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I've ran several compounds on the back of mine. PF, CL, Pagid, Ferodo. Depends how much you want to spend. PF97s were mega on the back but they need heat otherwise they chew discs. Yellows work well on the back of them. On RS29s now

git-r likes this.
  26. @git-r is your car standard power wise?

If so very impressive as previously stated just how quick these are out of the box!

Great driving from all tho!

git-r likes this.
  27. Have treated myself and ordered a set of these. At £105 not bad.. also got a set of floor mats for £60 :smile: - Kam racing for anyone interested.

28. Cheers!

Yes, everything is standard apart from alignment. Matt had a heavy passenger so that took the edge off his performance but he was still quicker and much more composed.

odinson likes this.
  29. Was great day. Haha maybe next time I'll take passenger seat out so i cant take any lol. Sam can sure drive that car. Nurburgring next for me but i need to make a few tweaks i was running stiffer damping up front compared to rear which caused a bit of understeer so i think a trip to mark fish is order haha no point in having the fancy bits if it's not set up properly

git-r likes this.
  30. Have a great time at the ring, so wish I was going!!

Just thinking out loud here but we're you running more pressure at the back than front?

In the handbook it says to run 30psi front and 32 back. I was at about 32 front, 34 rear.

Also, er, the vids? :smile: :smile: :smile:

31. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Tyre pressures sound about right, that's what I tend to run hot unless I'm on proper r tyres then it gets dropped.

Was running 32 hot all around on AD08Rs last year at the Ring and that seemed to be the sweet spot and the wore very evenly.

32. I was messing around with pressures all day just couldnt get in with the tyres. Pretty disappointed in them tbh but they have had a fair few heat cycles now I'd say.

33. What tyres have you got out of interest ?

Ive got 888s for my ring trip this year any recommendations, but I suppose its down to personal choice and driving styles?

34. I think he was running Yokohama A048R?

If cost is an issue the Yokohama AD08R's are fantastic. They sustain 1.1 g in the corners on my Megane with stock suspension and 1.2g on my skyline with race suspension. The skyline was doing 52's at brands if that means anything? In my experience they don't have the quality issues of cheaper tyres like federal either.

I think the reason so many are running them is that they can be bought for half the price of 888's etc (from the right people), last longer, better in wet and not far off dry.

35. You guys should try the nankang AR1. Got 1,3g out of them on Spa [emoji4]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1635-02 met Tapatalk

36. Out of interst when on track do you turn everything off
    With the sport mode button?

37. Yes a048r medium hard compound which doesn't seem to be the favoured compound but hey i got them cheap. I've just bought a new set of ad08r for my new wheels they are a great tyre for the money. And yes switch everything g off on track

git-r likes this.
  38. Is that 1.3 g sustained? If so very impressive! Not heard much feedback about the AR1 so please feel free to share your experience:smile:

39. Yup, always - running with it on could eat your back pads very quickly. It's a great safety system though if you want it.

40. Sometimes the medium type tyres don't work as well on heavier cars. might be good for sprinting though.

Did you get your AD08R's from the guy in slough?

Er.... and... pretty pretty please videos? :smile: :smile: