3" decat noise.

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by RMS225, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Will the 3" decat increase the noise of the exhaust note that it's to loud to handle.
    I have a 3" cat back Ktec system.
    If I gain a few horses that's great but I'm more concerned about the noise and note.
    Ill also fit a 3" 200 cell sport cat in the down pipe.

Thanks all.

2. I've got an RS240 scorpion system with a decat on the 225 and it's not too loud at all. In fact I think with the original cat in place it'd barely be any louder than standard.

Id say the 225 decatted is no louder than my 265 with scorpion exhaust and OEM cat in place.

3. I've got the RS240 decat. But thinking wether to keep the standard cat and just chop the rear box out? Or put a mini one on???? Will I get much more power with the decat? Thanks

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  4. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

On average about 7bhp when mapped. Unless you lose both boxes a decatted Meg is barely louder just more guttural and raw on boost.

5. Torque is the biggest gain in terms of when it comes on boost and it doesnt taper off as much.

As Naith said on the sound though. Its not intrusive at all

6. Thanks chaps. If I don't sell my 630's I'll be fitting them and get my mate to remap with the decat.

7. If your going to fit a sports cat as well I wouldn't bother and just keep the standard pipe. Its a lot of cost for very little gain in power.

Id leave the sports cat alone and just de cat it. Sounds and smells much nicer.

Dave

8. I have 3" k-Tec turbo back and the note is crisp and deep only loud if you really boot it down terrace streets not advised as its dangerous but in a tunnel wow smiles

9. Mmmm that's what I want. So yours just has the rear box. Any loud pops and bangs?

10. Its more noticable with a decat.

11. How people go on with MOTs , will it pass emissions or do you need a tester you know

12. Need a helpful tester

13. Mine did have both boxes chopped, I got the centre box put back in last week and have just had a decat fitted by Mark Black - it's definitely a fair bit louder now than just a back box chop. It's quieter than a double box chop, but exactly how much it's hard to tell as my cat was falling to bits anyway so was louder than it should have been.