275 275 Trophy "Woo Woo" noise

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Steven Cross, Oct 17, 2022.

1. Morning all. I've posted on all Facebook groups but not managed to get any feedback.

My 275 Trophy is now on 76k miles. I've had it from new. Gearbox oil was changed 53k miles / 2 years ago and the car had new rear discs and bearings done last summer. Front wheel bearings haven't ever been replaced but I have some on order.

About 6 weeks ago I noticed a noise which seemed to be coming from one of the front wheels but it was hard to tell when driving. As my air con was dodgy I thought it may have been the compressor but it was replaced and the noise was still there. The last few weeks it's been getting worse and particularly loud when you reach 50mph and above, but it starts around 25mph. It now appears to be coming from the rear, but I'm surprised if the rear bearings would have gone already.

Video is below. You can hear the noise about 30 seconds in, a fast "woo woo" loud pitched buffeting sound that increases with speed. By end of vid I go up to 70mph from 50mph and it's more noticeable. Dipping the clutch and it still remains.

I've read all the old threads on here and seen a few videos that have a noise that is more like a constant whine like an aircraft taking off and I can confirm it's definitely not that same noise, so I would hope it isn't gearbox related.

Anyway any feedback is greatly appreciated as this car has been a huge money pit in the last few years.

2. I think you have done very well to get to that mileage and not have the gearbox issue - My old 275 developed it at 30k miles and I've seen plenty of others with it at similar mileage too.

It's hard to tell over the video to be honest, recordings are very hard to diagnose issues.

People describe it as a whine but I'd class it as more of a humming noise that increases with speed, from what you have described, I'd be very surprised if it isn't the gearbox unfortunately.

I read a few people saying that if you jack the car up at the front and spin the wheel with your hands, it'll have an audible clicking noise as you turn if it's the gearbox bearings. This is how I diagnosed mine and it was later confirmed by my mechanic

3. I may try get it jacket up myself but putting it to a guy in 2 weeks to get new front wishbones fitted, lower swivel hub joint and the front wheel bearings plus tracking and alignment.

I think what makes my noise different is it definitely fluctuates up and down in terms of intensity rather than being a constant whine. Seems to be emphasised slightly if you turn left or right. I'm praying it's the rear bearings yet will be unimpressed if these are shot after 16 months. The car drives totally fine otherwise