275 Trophy noisy gearbox

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by AJ-275, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Hey guys,

Had my 275 trophy for 3 weeks now, and done 1200 miles because I am still in the stage of taking it everywhere!
    I followed the running in procedure etc and was really careful with the car in the first 600/700 miles as stated in the manuals and by the dealer.

However, my gearbox is making some concerning noises. It shifts fine most of the time, but in 3rd gear I get a whine all the way through the gear to the redline.
    It only does it in third, and only under load- it does go when you dip the clutch.
    Because of that, I'm ruling out the diff because that would be speed related but this almost sounds like the gearbox is low on oil and 3rd is running dry or the gear is actually worn. It is a high pitched whine almost like a supercharger type noise.

I have searched everywhere and it seems like thankfully this is a very rare issue but I'm slightly concerned Renault are just going to turn me away citing that it's normal gearbox noise. I however know for a fact it isn't! I've had enough cars myself and driven/been involved in others to know something is wrong!!

Has as anyone had any prior experience with anything similar?

Any comments welcome.
    Cheers,
    Alex

2. Take it back to them see what they say. Due to the age and your it's first owner etc I can't see them turning you away.
    A whiney gearbox is never a good sign!
    If they do turn you away contact Renault UK / take it to another dealer see what they say etc

3. Surely one of the benefits of a new car is the warranty?

Call them and mention the problem but if they don't seem interested, run it till the box explodes.

Then get the car recovered to the dealer. I know that's probably a ball ache for you though.

I've literally just come back from a 400ml/7hr trip today and can confirm the the box doesn't make any sort of sound except at low speed with the windows open the shift mechanism is audible.

4. A 275 Trophy owner on the Renault Sport forum has also got gearbox issues. IIRC Renault are replacing it after only 2000 miles.

5. Yeah I saw that, I also posted on there as well but there seems to be limited activity on there so I wanted to broaden my responses, in case someone else had experienced it.

Obviously im not overly worried as if it does actually break its a 3 week old car so they will be forced to replace the box- but I don't want it to come to that as the messing around with that is a pain.
    Also don't want this to ruin the ownership experience either as I've wanted this car for years!!

I'll drop by there tomorrow and keep you all updated!

6. I had the same issue on 5th and 6th. I own a 175dCi, but we share the exact same gearbox.
    The bearings from the shafts are whining because they are too small for the job. But they usually survive for a couple of good miles. I changed mine at 100k.

S.

7. mine does this in 2nd gear. Exactly the same noises as you're mentioning. Mine has also done 1200 miles.

8. Does the 250 share the same gearbox?

9. Yes. 175/250/265/275 - they all use the same gearbox together with some other big cars in the Renault line.
    A bigger brother of this gearbox goes into Renault Trafic.

S.

10. Whats your take on it?
    I'm in two minds what to do to be honest. Not sure whether to take it back and proper kick off or just to see how it goes.
    I doubt the gearbox will actually let go to be honest because they seem very strong but it is highly highly annoying and I don't personally feel like I should put up with it on a 30k car that's brand new.

11. This is a brand new car! Take it back! It shouldnt matter if a car is worth 10k or 30k, if its not right take it back!

12. Ovy

Ovy

just to give you guys a higher mileage take on this my 250 whines more in 2nd but also 3rd car now has 44k miles on it and running over 330ft/lb torque, I am not gentle with it either to be honest and IMO it's always done it! I have learned to except that's how the gearbox sounds, car has done track, 1/4mile and dyno's ect still sounds the same or the point I'm trying to make it hasn't got any worse

13. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I thought the Mk3 uses a PK4 box whereas the Mk2 uses the ND0 box?

14. im not sure tbh.
    I suppose there's no harm in taking it down to dealership and getting it checked over. I think that's what I'm probably going to do when I get chance.

15. My 250 has done 75k miles and no whinning....

Are we saying this is a common problem ?

16. Yeah I'm going to do the same, but I think I can already predict the outcome but I'm going to push it as much as I can

17. You are correct :smile:

18. Just a small update on this- I'm going to Renault tomorrow to get the car looked at because the noise is definitely getting worse! There is no way it is normal so I am going to challenge it.

Also seen one of my Speedlines has gone rusty some how?!!

Going well so far

19. Don't be put off so soon :tongueout:

Seriously, all cars have issues like this - the real test is what the dealer does about them.

Let us know how you get on.

20. Not put off, just annoying. Knew there would be some niggles so calm about it for now.
    Mad you rightly say it's all down to the dealers reaction!!

Im use to it anyway my other car is a 205 GTI which isn't exactly bullet proof

21. AJ, any update on this issue, mate? Did the dealer do anything for it?

22. Sorry forgot I had this thread going to be honest-
    they had the car for the day, and apparently 3 different techs drove the car and agreed it was normal gearbox noises. They haven't denied there is a noise there, and they have written on the job sheet that there is a noise but it is normal gearbox noise.

Im a bit stuck now to be honest because to prove that it should t be there is quite hard. To get it changed would probably involve a lot of expenditure on my part in terms of independent mechanics reports etc.

I'm so tied up with work at the minute it's tough to find the time to look in to it but I do want to take it further. I suppose really at the moment it's just a case of seeing if it gets worse over time or not, with the security of knowing if it does actually go they will have to replace it under warranty

23. Why do t you see if you can test drive another car from another dealership and compare.

Or take your care to another dealership and give them the impression you'd pay to get it sorted if they think it's kippered. If you get told it needs attention then you can go back the supplying dealer and pursue it.

24. The lsd can be noisy in general.

25. I would second that recommendation to test drive an identical vehicle, preferably at the same dealership.

I get a clacking noise every time the drivetrain is loaded/unloaded, such as pressing or releasing the accelerator pedal. Dealer told me it's normal for these cars, diff noise.

26. From previous threads the clacking noise is the Dual Mass Flywheel and is normal

27. I'd agree with the idea of testing another car. Sounds like they're just fobbing you off but then I'm not mechanically minded enough to know.

All I can say is that mine doesn't seem to make any noise like you described (so far, anyway). Doesn't seem right for a new car but what do I know...

Hope it works out eventually, keep us posted.