275 Trophy - firm or too firm

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Chilly248, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Hey everyone. Noob to the forum (and indeed Megane ownership).

I am in the process of selling my Scirocco and and my S2 Exige S, to buy one car that vaguely attempts to meet halfway between the two!

Always had a Renaultsport itch to scratch and am now looking at the 275 Trophy. I am attracted by the Akropovic/Recaros/Alcantara wheel etc and figure this seems like the ultimate iteration of this generation Meg.

Having read a few reviews, some say it's perfectly fine on UK roads and others say almost blanket 'it's too firm'. NOW, I appreciate 'how firm is too firm' is all relative to your own expectations and tolerances. But, I'd be keen to hear what actual owners here say before I start missioning to test drive them.

The car won't be a daily driver - more of a weekend hack - but it does need to be tackle road trips without shaking my fillings out and not be a complete arse over South London speed bumps like my Exige.

Any thoughts/comments welcome.

Oh and hi - I am Will!

Cheers

2. Welcome Will.
    Firm yes, but perfectly useable, if you can get an ohlins equipped one so much the better as they are then adjustable, either way pretty sure it’ll be a lot more pliable than an exige :smile:

3. 275 trophy ohlins on mine are much more compliant than the nitron street series that I had on my vx220 turbo.

4. Didn't find my old cup-s that harsh at all, even less so with 18" wheels. The factory set up is definitely a great compromise.

5. Thanks all for the responses.

Ohlins-equipped cars don't seem that common? Although haven't seen many 275 Trophy's for sale full stop!

6. I think there were only about 100 Trophys in the UK. As Ohlins were a pretty expensive option may not be many so dont get to fussy on the colour.

Cup-S (again about 100 cars) is worth considering as slightly newer than Trophy and can get with the same options added back & an additional colour (flame red) but less stripes. There is a low miles Cup-S in the upcoming cars on collecting cars with Recaro's & Akra. No listing yet so cannot tell if Ohlins.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2015-renaultsport-megane-rs-275-cup-s

7. Oh nice spot thank you.

That seems to have leather (Recaros & wheel etc) rather than alcantara. Is that just an option or something specific to the Cup S vs Trophy? Thanks!

8. Cup-S as std comes with plain basic cloth seats as was cheap run out model.

But you can add back in leather Recaros only. The Trophy was the only one with half/half. So if thats a deal beaker Trophy is the car for you.

As for the steering wheel it was an option to have the alcanta wheel, gearstick & handbrake gaitors on Cup-S. I would not let that put you off as most will need a retrim on Cup-S or Trophy. Mine is pretty flat at 2 o'clock and mine has only done 17k.

9. Tell me about it - I was going through an alcantara wheel every couple of years on the Exige... luckily it was a quick release boss!

And yes the idea of something a little more limited does appeal VS a cheap run-out model. Aesthetically I think the alcantara really elevates the interior as well... and makes it feel like a more expensive, special car. I am being a tart - I appreciate - but these things matter when it comes to how a car makes you feel!

Now I play the waiting game for one to become available...

10. If alcantara seats your thing then the Trophy.

Limited Edition in this particular case is fairly irrelevant.

Trophy will have a numbered plaque on X out of 3000? But was only 100 of them that came to UK.

Cup-S only 100 came to the UK and UK only model.

Clio Trophy was 500 remember and R26R was about 130 units. So both are tiny amounts I have had mine for 4 years. Only seen about 5 other mk3 Megs RS. Only once another yellow one.

Probably 20 fully Loaded Trophy's and 20 Fully Loaded Cup-S. Even more minute.

Have you thought about Trophy-R or do you need rear seats?

11. Yes rear seats would be good as the Meg is supposed to be a step back towards practicality from the Exige! I think the Trophy sounds like the one - ideally with Ohlins if I can find. Will keep my eyes peeled on the classifieds - there was a black one in Wales last week (eBay) but looks like it's been snapped up...