265 intercooler ?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by BLADESBLOOD, Apr 25, 2015.

1. New to Megane from the ST , does the RS265 respond well to a bigger intercooler ? Many mods needed to fit ? Recommended item ?
    2012 car std with 10k on, runs around 34 intake temp on the RS monitor in recent warm weather

2. Ovy

Ovy

Not really req until you start hitting hybrid turbo territory (stage 2+) however they do give slight improvement ie hot summer days, dyno runs and also cosmetically look better, the 2 main choices are airtec or forge but they are quite £££s easy direct fit using existing pipework just don't go to big (forge do a huge one ment for hotter countries) as these cars run hot and restricting the rad is not a good idea.
    i am currently looking at refabricating a cooler I have so as to sit lower like the ome one to leave air flow over it for the rad but early days yet.

3. I'm running an Airtec cooler. Temp difference is differently more noticeable on track, however there is also a difference on the road particularly when accerlating hard.

Outside air temp was 24c the other day, the reported air intake temp was 22c.

2710A301-7470-4492-96E7-B185A563D0EA.jpg

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Best flowing cooler is the Pro Alloy one, The Airtec one isn't that great according to Paul at RST when i spoke to him the other day

5. It's pretty big isn't it? Has anyone got a pro alloy cooler fitted? Just had a look on their site, they do a turbo cool for the Meg 3 as well.

6. Hence the reason i am going on that long journey back to Leeds to have my Airtec replaced by the Pro Alloy , to try & get the power where it is supposed to be.

7. Hu, temperatura down, But you can have more lag dc89f00a17146233f5e2ea669574418e.jpg

8. Be interesting to know if that actually makes a difference referring to the to the other thread as I have an airtec fitted.

9. Being done on the 29th May. Will post outcome.

10. I can't see you making a difference between Pro Alloy and Airtec.

My airtec ran 313bhp and 345lb/FT. I asked Paul to cap the torque.
    Your issue isn't what manufacturer of FMIC fitted.

11. His suggestion with the intercooler. Not mine.

12. When you having decat?

13. I'm up there Tuesday. I'll see what Paul thinks when he maps it.

14. The way i see it is, that if he says you should be getting more than that then something isnt quite right. Look forward to your results.:wink:

15. where is the RS monitor intake temp reading taken? Is it the sensor in the post intercooler piping, roughly in the middle of the engine bay at the front? Or is it read pre-turbo?

16. Like the look of the RST intercooler and turbo cooler. Think thats the one for me.

17. It's measuring the air temperature in the intake manifold. Hence, air intake temp.

18. Rang RST this aft and they say its not necessary with standard 265 or ST1. Was going to find something to spend my money on and get their intercooler and turbo cooler pack.
    Maybe do it with a ST2 conversion but dont want to spoil the car in any way as its amazing as it is already.

19. Thanks, good advice there, I'm in a std RS265 so even if I remap to around 300bhp I don't need one? (That said the car seems rapid enough atm)

20. Ovy

Ovy

Thanks and yes 300bhp on stock cooler is fine. I uprated mine for cosmetic reasons as much as intake temps although I haven't seen more than 24deg on rs monitor today for example so it is a slight improvement and mine is custom made too

21. Slightly off topic, but I get the impression that std 250 & 265 put out more in general than the model suggests ? Is that right ?

22. Not seen one run under but the amount by which they run over seems to vary, later cars tend to run more. Mine was a run out 250 and did 265 on the rr at RStuning.

23. To wake up this topic a bit with a question: I have a 265 trophy,mostly stock so far, but planning a induction kit, decat and resonator delete , so i assume i will be needing a aftermarket intercooler.. ? cause if go for a remap with the original cooler i guess it's not as efficient as with the aftermarket ?