265 engine forging

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by ianplymouth, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Quick update
    My new mid exhaust box turned up yesterday, going to fit it soon and see if it still quieten's it down enough, this one is 4" in diameter, the first one i bought was 6" in diameter but is touching the floor, it's not nice to drive like that :confounded::confounded:

the replacement
    49946475011_9ff59dcdec_k.jpg IMG_20200528_101105 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

49945973673_c2ce6120da_k.jpg IMG_20200528_101128 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

DOOOOK likes this.
  2. dont go at this one with a lump hammer ian!

3. Sure this one won't need the alteration, might have to alter the other one even more if this one is to loud :blush:

4. `alter` ...a word used in the broadest term!

5. you seen my system ian...thats a 3",and has a center box about the same diameter as the one you have on it now.This was designed to be under 90db for racetracks...so maybe this skinny pipe might be a little on the small side.

6. what time Ian. im off may pop down

7. mines 3" dump, no cats full mandrel 3" system jus back box . ktec i believe 87db at cadwell lovely and quiet too

8. I did see that you had the centre box, just hope its enough to get the exhaust volume down

9. I have to be there for 15.30, but i will be there early, need to get it done asap as i have a six hour drive home, i will aim t be there for 14.30 the latest.

10. Mine was definitely louder than that, sounded nice but no use if i cant track it at all tracks.

11. will pop in to see you ian
    remind me nearer lol

12. okay mate will do, looks like Azza will turn up as well

In his standard car :confused:

13. Hi Guys
    A bit of an update
    My exhaust not banging against the floor anymore :laughing::laughing:
    Its a lot better to drive on the road now, not sure if it is louder of=r not as the 6" box was making such a noise rattling against the bottom, its definitely quieter inside.:sunglasses:

14. I visited a forum member on Saturday, trying to find out why his car was smoking and making a strange noise when hot.

Good steady drive up to Shaftesbury, carried out some work, then we went off to collect me some tyres :laughing::laughing:.

Then on the drive home it sounded like the exhaust was blowing, well it sounded like a spark plug was on its way out, it didn't seem to get any worse so kept going, i also knew i had a slight oil leak on the back of the engine somewhere.

as this has this big turbo fitted, there is very little chance it can be removed with the engine in the car, so once again the engine has to come out.

50010818557_c8bdd400c9_k.jpg IMG_20200615_161409 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Started to look around and all the nuts that were holding the turbo on had come loose, a bit strange as i used some wedge ramp washers, anyway so i removed the turbo and this is whats left of the gasket.

50010559416_8bcd5e0755_k.jpg IMG_20200615_164154 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

HASLE and Poppaboost like this.
  15. Yeah that would cause some blowing Ian :tearsofjoy:

16. That engine has spent more time out the car than in!

manugtt likes this.
  17. you,ll need fire nuts on that flange ian,there specifically for extreme heat. tighten as they get hotter

18. Ian, in my experience, that kind of gasket are shit, it cost to me a track day. Since that, I ever use metallic or multi-lamin gaskets for the exhaust system. Cheer up master!

19. Ha ha ha i'm good, i have two weeks to go till remapping, so i have nothing to do very much on the car so whet the hell pull it out :laughing::laughing:

I have now fitted a thin metal gasket

I also had an oil leak and couldn't see where it was coming from, plus i had a really good look around everything to see if there were any pipes rubbing etc, all looks great.

Would have got it all back together today but i'm waiting for a oil temperature sender to arrive, fitting it with the radiator in is neigh on impossible:persevere:

DOOOOK likes this.
  20. Not quite :laughing::laughing:, it was nice to check everything over to see if anything needed altering

21. The ones on the flange i made haven't shifted, its the ones holding the Borg Warner on, there M10's with Nord lock washers and they still came loose :openmouth:

22. Hi Rockabilly
    You wanted a reminder, i am trying to aim to get to EFI for about 14.30.
    See you there :sunglasses::sunglasses:

23. Tomorrow Ian?

24. Thursday the 2nd

rockabilly likes this.
  25. On a scale of 1-10 how excited or nervous are you?:laughing:

Agreen likes this.
  26. Looking forward to it for sure, i have done a good few miles now and it all seems good.

It feels quite quick now, it definitely needs tuning, the mid range is a bit flat, but once it goes over that all hell breaks out :laughing::laughing:

In preparation i have done an oil and filter change, new plugs and coils, new tyres all round, new CL8 pads, caliper seal kit, also replaced the two track control arms today.

So all should be good to go :grimacing::grimacing:

Agreen likes this.
  27. It's been a long time coming with all the madness in the world!

28. sure has, its going to be 7 months without a trackday :rage::rage:

29. What was the last one you went on then, when I saw you at spa?

30. Silverstone on the 15th of December and then i did one on the 17th at Oulton Park they were the last ones :cry::cry::cry:

31. C u there Ian.

ianplymouth likes this.
  32. Like wise :sunglasses::sunglasses:

33. Not the figure we were thinking of, there seems to be a problem with the actuator that came with the turbo, going to have to get another maybe something like the Turbosmart one, hope it's not an engine out job again :openmouth::openmouth::openmouth:

this is the final two runs you can see the fluctuation and the boost falling off due to the actuator problem.

50071337776_958400d348_k.jpg More to come by Ian Austin, on Flickr

34. Still figures not to be sniffed at though Ian, would a forge actuator do it?
    How was the drive home?

35. That was the one i was told NOT to get as they are also unreliable

Drive home was very interesting, so easy to get into 3 figures without even trying, still about 50hp short by all accounts :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Poppaboost likes this.
  36. What should this be revving up to Ian?

37. He's up'd the rev limit to 7k as requested :laughing::laughing:

38. Hi Guys
    A bit of an update

I ordered a Turbosmart actuator last weekend and it arrived during the week, it looks a good bit of kit well it should be for what it cost
    50104928378_d1dec94d80_k.jpg IMG_20200709_192805 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

manugtt and LoK28o like this.
  39. i tried to fit it where the other one was but as its larger in diameter it wasn't going to happen.

So after a lot of trying different locations, the best option was found, so on Friday i started to make a bracket, finished it off Saturday.

50105729092_488520223b_k.jpg IMG_20200711_133707 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

rockabilly and LoK28o like this.