265 engine forging

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by ianplymouth, Jan 3, 2020.

1. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

I have some work to do tomorrow, will see what time i finish, if its early enough then i will get to the workshop.

The Wifes got plans for me at the weekend :cry::cry: clearing out the garage, most of the shite that's in there is hers :laughing::laughing:

2. ianplymouth

well had some time today :laughing:
    Finished off putting the rest of the car back together.
    Fired it up and all running as it should, i am so relieved its running properly :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Big ben, Poppaboost, Jukidam and 2 others like this.
  3. All right man!! Good news then, want to see some pictures of that black beast:wink:

4. ianplymouth

With road wheels on
    49065583461_36fa957ec5_k.jpg IMG-20181020-WA0014 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

5. ianplymouth

the first ever pic i took of it

49065067973_b96588f704_k.jpg IMG-20180811-WA0007 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

6. ianplymouth

the red trims on the wheels lasted about 10 minutes on track

7. ianplymouth

my seats and harnesses
    49065062528_8746019322_k.jpg IMG_20181027_170114 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

half cage
    49065791877_bee3e8e93c_k.jpg IMG_20181027_170101 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Azza, RS250 castle combe and Jukidam like this.
  8. The red detailing in the seats us a good tie in with the rest of the car.

9. ianplymouth

There were about 250 different colours and layout option,s think i did okay with my choice :laughing::laughing:

10. thank fk for that..what a expensive,time consuming nightmare!

ianplymouth likes this.
  11. I'm happy with all the news...
    now you can enjoy the car without thinking about any more problems, just put a lot of gas and smash the right pedal :grinning::grinning:

Azza, JJZ and ianplymouth like this.
  12. ianplymouth

I was so relieved, as soon as it started it sounded so different and back to what it used to sound like.

Need to get it back to Chris to work his magic, he's already told me not to boot it as it has a "guess" map on it, he thought it was an injector, so he fitted my 630's in and did a sort of a map so it's not over fuelling.

Poppaboost likes this.
  13. ianplymouth

It sort of still needs running in, it's not rev'd over 3k since it was built :angry:

14. Ok, but now you don't have to "worry about" the engine that much, just run the engine properly, and enjoy it.

ianplymouth likes this.
  15. ianplymouth

No, hopefully that is my problems over now.
    Just need to get a track day in :cry::cry:

16. Nice one Ian!

Car looks really good too.

Can't see any track fun happening for a while tbh!

ianplymouth likes this.
  17. ianplymouth

I can't see anything happening for a couple of weeks :cry:

Would have been okay for the ring trip if it was still on :cry:

I bet its going to be mental when they open the track days again, don't think it will be pretty

18. ianplymouth

Azza, JJZ, Gareth and 1 other person like this.
  19. How's this heap of junk running :tongueclosed:

You never did do into detail about the turbo....

20. ianplymouth

Its running great, but i can really do anything at the moment as it needs mapping.

As for the turbo, i think i will put up a thread about it, was going to wait till it was mapped before spilling the beans, will start it in a day or so

Agreen likes this.
  21. Awkward times with the apocalypse and all!

You might get thrown in jail for trying to take it for mapping lol.

22. ianplymouth

Well the first problem is EFI are closed, so there is no point in driving up there atm going to have to wait :cry::cry:

Did push my luck driving up the other week, driving up to just before Birmingham was quite quiet, then it got busy from there on, same on the way back after Birmingham the traffic dropped off a lot.

23. just looking back through this ian. noticed the block has no cut out for the tangs on the mains. so what will stop them spinning in a failure?.

24. ianplymouth

The tangs are not there to stop them spinning, they are there to align them (side to side) they are such a fit that when the main caps are tightened they push the bearings into the block and cap.

I had King bearings for mine, all you have to do is file the tangs off, (youtube video's are available) :laughing::laughing:

rockabilly likes this.
  25. @Paulo Mancusi take a look!

Paulo Mancusi likes this.
  26. ianplymouth

Bit of an update.

I wasn't too pleased with how loud my exhaust is with the decat, new turbo and the 3" non resonated Miltec exhaust.

So i bought this

https://flic.kr/p/2iSSQ1x

I did have to undo the exhaust sections to try and separate and remove the straight centre pipe,it would not move enough to get it out, so as the diffuser was not fitted properly i thought i would remove the whole rear bumper to sort this out, i could then move the rear section back even more.

I started to remove the bumper, the passenger side was jacked up, but i also needed to get the drivers side jacked up to get wheel and arch liner off, at this point i had second thoughts.

Had a look at the diffuser and tried to knock it back into place, with the removal of a couple of screws it came off, undid the rear exhaust fixing and centre pipe comes out.

Offered up the exhaust box only to find its to big, well to say to big is a slight lie, where the mid section normally fits, i forgot about the lump on the underside where the gear lever unit pokes through, so the box won't go up enough.

27. ianplymouth

I was going to send the box back so was going to leave the car and come back to it later, well there's no rush at the moment is there :persevere:

So looking at the diffuser, the exhaust trim looks a bit crap, so i pulled it apart, cleaned it up and painted the metal bit, but the plastic trim was really bad, i peeled off as much as i could and rubbed the rest down.

https://flic.kr/p/2iSXeDv

Don't be too critical :laughing::laughing::laughing:

28. ianplymouth

After thinking about the exhaust problem, i tried to measure how far its out, it's only about 20mm, plus i need a bit of clearance, so out came the 4lb lump hammer, reshaped the top side of the box :openmouth: by about 35mm shaped it nicely :laughing::laughing:

Offered it up and it fits.

Cut the straight pipe down and fitted it all back together, gave it a good shake and there is no knocking.

Fitted the diffuser and started the engine, ohhhh i'm really happy its nice a quite, shouldn't be a problem at any track now

29. :grinning::grinning::grinning:
    There is nothing in this world that a hammer can´t fix!!

Azza and ianplymouth like this.
  30. ianplymouth

But if it works :laughing::laughing:

manugtt likes this.
  31. hahaha very good!

32. Just read the whole thread Ian.

will follow with interest

ianplymouth likes this.
  33. ianplymouth

Cheers Ben

Did you enjoy the read :laughing:

34. Was rollercoaster read! Engine been in and out a few times a bit painful. Patience of a saint

35. ianplymouth

but now its right, had plenty of rainy days to do the work. :laughing:

Big ben likes this.
  36. Alls well that ends well. Hopefully see you again on track soon.

37. ianplymouth

I hope so, getting withdrawal symptoms now, 5 months now :sob::sob::sob:

RS250 castle combe and oldfella like this.
  38. At least, I can tear up and down where I live, single track road with passing places, no traffic, no people. I knew self isolating for 30 years ( Miserable old Git.) would pay off in the end.

ianplymouth likes this.
  39. ianplymouth

Always the racer :laughing::laughing:
    Just be safe there young man and hopefully we can go and play again soon :sunglasses::sunglasses:

oldfella likes this.
  40. ianplymouth

Car is booked in at EFI on the 2nd July :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Big ben, Agreen, DOOOOK and 3 others like this.