250 Running water sound when starting up

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Dean250, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Recently I've been getting a running water sound when the car first turns over, possibly air has got in the coolant system somehow?

I've been meaning to get the coolant changed, had a look at doing it myself but none of the pipes look that accessible to do it on the drive. Does anyone know where the bleed nipple is on the pipework? had a look for it but couldn't seen anything!

Thanks for any help. Dean

2. Side of the radiator if it's like the 225

3. Usually air bubbles in the heater matrix if it's audible within the cabin, are your heaters consistently warm?

4. One of me previous car did that and it was the air con. It was flushed and recharged to stop it.

5. Not noticed the heaters always being warm but will check. Air con is working fine cold etc but could it need recharging?

Definitely sounds like air in the coolant from the first turn over, want to just try to bleed it, from looking I don't think the Rad is accessible, surely the bleed nipple is accessible?

6. MicKPM

MicKPM RSM Trader RSM Trader

Nope, not on a 250 it's not. There's two:

1-Thermostat housing (under the pipework)
    2-Heater matrix pipe work (Rear of bulkhead behind the Turbo)

Has the coolant level dropped below the MIN?

7. Thanks Mick.

Will take another look this evening, the coolant level is sat around halfway when cold.

8. Still couldn't see the bleed nipples, are the concealed?

9. Bleed nipple is on one of the 2 pipes that go from your engine bay in to the car, it's a thin pipe and has like a dust cap on it similar to a tyre, can take a while to spot it

10. There is a way to flush the water from the rad but it's a mission to get to, it's on the lower side of the rad, passanger side iirc

11. Thanks mate will check again tomorrow, will look when the engine is cold lol