[250] Heavy Clutch on Occasions Only - Other gearbox queries

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Alcon, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Hi Guys,

I'm facing the following issues. I'm the 2nd owner, so I won't know if this is the norm , so appreciate your advice.

1) Clutch is heavy after a long drive without using the clutch (i.e. cruise control for 20 mins). Only the 1st push is heavy, subsequent once are immediately normal. I do not face this leaving the car overnight, only when it is being driven. What could be the issue ? I'm fine with it, as long it is not a sign of a potential issue that I can do something about.

2) I notice quite a bit of noise when the clutch engages in 1st and 2nd, particularly evident with windows down driving in a quiet environment like a enclose carpark. Not crunching, or anything metallic at all. More like a rubbery gashy muddy sound... can't describe it. Anyhow, is your clutch/transmission every noisy ?

3) At slow speeds, in 1st gear, there are occasions when it is particularly challenging to smoothly get out of first . As you clutch in, the engine feels almost like it wants to spin its way out of the bonnet, it just rocks on its mounts. I need effort to make sure the engine revs matches so that the clutch out is smooth. do you get that ?

My previous car was just a family car, and it could just be how a heavy duty transmission works. I'm not sure, so I need your advise .

Thank you!

2. clutch release bearing possibly?

3. hmm... no, this is not how it's supposed to work... I guess there could be a combination of things wrong here, but check your engine and gearbox mounts first, and if they're fine, I suspect a clutch/DMF/slave cylinder inspection is needed..

4. I'll get it checked under warranty. Thanks.

5. I know this is an older post but I'm experiencing the same as you describe in your first point and I'm curious what your RS's problem was. I have a feeling that it's worse/heavier with higher temperatures.

7. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

My slave cylinder went at the start of the year and had to get replaced along with the clutch, Similar issue but the pedal was a lot worse than just one heavy one then fine.

Recently though, While out at the Ring mine has started doing the exact same thing but doesnt do it all the time. Gets very, very grabby when properly hot though, IE queuing to get off the Ring after a couple of laps on the trot.

8. I've noticed the same thing on my 265 after a long motor way drive, first press noticeably harder but then clears and it's fine. Any body got a fix yet ??

Megane 265 trophy. Liquid yellow. Rs monitor, fabric recoro seats
    Ds pads front and rear, k-tec braided lines all round, cat back scorpion mid-box delete