250 gear selector

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Wmrs250, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Is there any way of adjusting the gear selector, it's been playing up since I had it disconnected, bled the clutch a number of times inc reverse bleeding. It's really tough sometimes to get it in to first and 2nd, 1st gear is hit and miss with reverse, its driving me nuts

2. Turned out the cable tensioner was sitting too high, locked in and fixed

3. Got some pics ?

4. Didn't take any pics but it's a white lock ring with a spring in it, wasn't locked in so it shifted up making the gear change hard, sits under the battery tray so can't take any pics as I've put it all back together now, you having issues with yours?

5. Not really... But always feels tight and I guess after a while, the shifting feels lighter.. Probably after the gear oil warms up...

6. Yeah could be, the white grease renault use goes kind of plasticky when it drys up, goes more dense if that makes sense, grease up the gear selectors and re-grease the pivot on the actual gear stick and see if that helps.

i think your right tho about the gear oil, may need changing

7. I went to check mine today. Could I get the battery tray out. Could I buggery.

What a right pita. I must undone about a dozen nuts and bolts as well as a load of cable clips. There was still something keeping it from coming out.

I gave up in the end and put it back together.

8. Yeah can be a mare to get the tray out, did u get the bolts under the modules? The back has a guide for the cable that can catch when trying to lift up

9. Yeh, I undid every bolt I could see. Plus any cables that were attached. It felt like there was one last thing keeping it from being free, not a bolt though.

I managed to see the gear linkage though. Not a lot I could determine from it, ie whether or not it had moved. It all looked ok to me.

I've got 3 Ltrs of gearbox oil being delivered in the week, hopefully a change will smooth the gears out. 1st & 2nd can be quite stiff sometimes.