250 Cup - Sport yellow

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Sargara, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Due to the transition from megsport to rsmegane I hadnt really posted any of this up other than on Cliosport of all places. So this topic is an attempt at me to write up some of the changes that have happened and summarise it for this forum. Bits of this will be taken from other posts so apologies if you have read this before.

I picked up my Megane 250 Cup in April 2012 from Lookers Chester.
    12.5k miles, 1 previous owner, 11 reg. Extra's include: Climate Control / Vision Pack (DRLs, Bixenon, Tinted rear view mirror)

emmeet1fn.jpg

emmeet3.jpg

Later in August I attended an Overclockers arranged Rolling Road day at Powerstation in Tewkesbury. The car made 263 totally standard and I guess it really does go to show the claimed power upgrade in the 265 is just a marketing excercise more than actual performance upgrades:

[​IMG]

Other than yearly servicing nothing really changed as I was enjoying getting used to the car as it was. All that came to an end of couse :smile:

In Feburary 2013 I decided to take the plunge and ordered a Fastchip.nl remote remap from Henk. Coming from Cliosport where his work was highly regarded It seemed most people on the Megane side prefered to opt for Superchips/Bluefin but I decided to take the plunge and see what Henk could do. £400 lighter this arrived:

rstunerunit.jpg

Unfortunately having only had 1 RR in Tewkesbury before the remap I didnt fancy another 3hr roundtrip for a "bofore and after" comparison so i took the decision to load it on the car and forget about it. Honestly? I didnt really notice any difference in day to day driving.

Next up my attention turned to the exhaust. I found a megsport member returning his car to standard to trade in. He was selling a Catback and Bluefin but wanted silly money for them so i dismissed it. They obviously didnt sell because before i knew it they were up on Ebay and ended up selling (or so i thought). Turns out the winner bought a Mk3 Scorpion system for his Mk2 225?? A cheeky offer later and i was now the owner of a Scorpion Non-res catback that had covered 12k miles in 10months for £200 (£424 new). Bargain!

Off came the huge standard mid silencer along with the rest of the system (excuse my mates Z4 system in the background):
    midsilencer.jpg

And on went the Scorpion that fitted perfectly!

2. With all that done it was time to see what a difference this had made to the car. I booked onto a cheap Llandow trackday and Greenlight provided the trackday insurance for £40 and peace of mind. I was promptly put in my place by various 1*2's as they happily threw their cars through the bends and i never really got the opportunity to stretch the Megs legs on the small circuit!

ac5o.jpg

qe2g.jpg

6c49.jpg

Either way it was a great day (if a little wet) and thanks to Dan Freeman some great pictures were captured.

Then in April my attention turned to the interior as coming from a Recaro'd Clio 200 i still felt i was missing out on this. I began the hunt to find some Recaro Sportsters from a Megane. The best part of 4 months passed without any trace of them appearing on Ebay or breakers so i began looking for alternatives and after some research it appeared that the 197/200's Recaros had the same bolt spacing on the rails as the Meg does. With a couple of these appearing on Ebay on a monthly basis it wasnt long before a pair were sourced and fitted. I was the first to do this and posted a guide on here: *link*

The interior ended up looking like this:

recaro2v.jpg

emmeet2.jpg

As you can see from the above picture I also picked up an accessory gearknob from Renault for £60 to finish the interior:
    img20120226163156.jpg

gearknob.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  3. The car stayed like that until now. Nothing major really has happened since the previous update however I gave the car a thorough clean inside and out, topped up the oil, changed the screenwash fluid (it started to smell like eggs?) and then fitted a pair of black diamonds I picked up off Ebay.

sd8s.jpg

I also experimented with fitting a roof rack after joining the cycle to work scheme. After some research it turned out that Thule initially did sell a compatible roof rack for the Meg 250 but for whatever reason stopped (im guessing couldnt get approval from Renault?). I ended up selling this on after never using it other than to check it did fit:
    irhz.jpg

I then made a trip to Leeds to visit Paul @ RSTuning as part of a group buy. I already had a remote map from fastchip.nl (Henk) but after hearing the problems people experienced with Superchips/Bluefin remote remaps running lean I wanted to get a proper map done for piece of mind and to see what extra could be achieved.

zc2l.jpg

Well turns out Henks remap was already running 301bhp! I was very surprised. Paul commented it was one of the better maps he had seen and was similar to what he would offer in regards to a remote map. However it was noticed that it was knocking at the top end so some power had to come off to smooth things out. Ending up with:

q22n.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  4. Nice write-up and a lovely colour to boot!

5. I suppose I better do one last update now that the car is up *for sale*.

I picked up some Megane 2 style mist washers after having a read of a useful topic on here:
    http://www.rsmegane.com/showthread.php?1602-Megane-2-Mist-Style-Washer-Jets/page5

I placed an order with "allcarpartsfast" and was lucky enough to get one of the very last pairs they had for sale, result! Very simple pull off, push in affair to fit and voila:
    iqzl.jpg

Probably one of the easiest mods I have done so far. If only everything was this straight forward! Next up my attention turned to the wheel bolts as they were beginning to show surface rust and looked out of place against the nice black alloy wheels. A quick Ebay purchase later and these were fitted while the car was in for its 3rd service with Mick @ Diamond Motors.

o6de.jpg

The phone picture isn't amazing but it gives you an idea of the improvement.
    So that's how the car sits as of today:

[​IMG]

6. How did you get on with the wheel bolts? I have the same ones but couldn't fit them, they were proud by about 3mm. The only difference I could see from the oem bolts was the seat diameter on the tuner bolts was smaller...

7. No issues what so ever, but i specifically ordered the 26mm long ones, same as OEM. The others you probably ordered were 28mm.

8. Nope, definitely 26mm, I measured them. I will dry fit them this week and measure the max depth.
    Cheers!

9. Very odd! Get in there nice and deep :wink:

10. Just out of interest why you selling up? What have you got in mind next?

11. Hi Dmn1989 its in my For Sale thread but in summary: The missus and I are looking to get married and our own place. On the plus side this is massive bargaining chips for me when it comes to future car purchases "remember how I sacrificed my Meg....." :tongueout:

Going for a 182 Trophy next to soften the step down.