250 air filter replacement

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by T&biskits, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Thinking of changing the standard air filter with an aftermarket panel. I was going to fit a Green air filter as i have oil & cleaner left over from my last cars filter. Only thing is Green dont state a filter for the 250( but places do sell them for it, but the part number is for the previous model Mk 2), & i vaguely remember someone saying that certain filters that are sold to fit the 250 are not that a good fit? Can anybody shed any light? i.e. if they fitted a green filter or their BMC was a precise fit.:confused:

2. Assume the oil and cleaner could be used on any make of panel filter . . . what options do Ktec list?

3. I have the BMC on mine and it's a perfect fit.

4. KTEC do there own & BMC. I just recall someone saying that their filter wasnt a good fit.

5. BMC fits fine, just make sure you get the mk3 one as the mk2 is similar but a few mm different.

6. BMC Fb575/20 ring any bells?

7. Also got the BMC, fits perfect! Yep 575/20 Is the correct part number for the 250.

8. Looks like its going to be a BMC then. Cheers

9. I've also got a BMC in mine, as already stated, perfect fit.

10. Any noticeable differences on the BMC? Sound/mpg/intake temp etc?

11. The sound is definitely better compared to the standard filter, much more 'induction' noise. With mpg or any other differences i personally haven't noticed any, might be proven for a couple more bhp over standard maybe, I'm not sure.

12. Whilst you are changing the filter don't forget to take the sound deadening out of the air box for even more induction noise.

13. Done that already. Adds a bit to the noise.Was contemplating an induction kit ,but dont think they justify the expense.

14. BMC as well here.. Fits as is to be expected..

15. Just to be different I'm running the pipercross. Fits perfectly also

16. Had a foam Ramair filter years ago, absolute pig to clean. Seemed to be coated in golden syrup & tar.

17. Just ordered a bmc for my 250. Will report back

18. From who & how much? Cheapest i can find is £50.

19. EBay. Fifty quid delivered ...

20. Crest?

21. Yup

22. Unless my local Euro car parts can come up with the goods.

23. Just ordered my BMC from Crest too.

24. Arrived today. Will fit later and report back

25. Good man.

26. I got an ITG delivered. I'll see about the sound deadening...

27. Just fitted. Very simple to do. Hardest part was getting the bmc sticker to stick to the airbox lol . Removed foam too...

28. Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  29. So the filter and foam removal makes a minor difference to low speed induction noise. Stock valve more audible too . Nothing too exciting

30. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'm not sure what people expect, Its a panel filter in the OEM box.

If you want proper intake noises get a large cone. I have the Injen setup on mine and it is ridiculously loud, Even more so with the larger K&N cone i replaced the one it came with.

31. To be fair I expected nothing as never noticed difference in other cars with panels. Suggest the foam removal is the factor that adds any noise.

32. Not bothered about the noise, just a product that works or aids future modifications. Leave the noise to the 1.1 saxo brigade.

Danno likes this.
  33. My observations of the BMC are similar. Low Rev induction sound slightly louder as is the valve. Intake temp was slightly higher than usual but that could just be because of frequent stops on my first run out with it?

34. i have a pippercross its a slight diff in noise