225 throttle response

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by 328isport, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Hi All,

I'm struggling to get used to my 07 plate megane 225s throttle response and just wanted to check this is normal, it may just me that I'm coming from cars with throttle cables, but I'm finding the throttle response annoyingly dim-witted.

This is most noticeable when changing gear under WOT, if changing gear quickly and getting off/on the throttle as quickly as possible which I'm used to being able to do, I find the throttle will hold slightly when I lift off and then when I put my foot back down there's a slight pause as the power bleeds back in rather than the thump back in as I'm used to.

The other situation is heel and toe, whilst I expect to get a flare of revs with a stab of the throttle, I feel like I have to give it a deliberate push and again wait momentarily for the response.

Obviously I'm talking about very small timeframes of delay here, but it's enough to frustrate and make for an overall poor connection in terms of feel.

So is this the norm and a case of Renault still mastering electronic throttles back in 07, or do I have an issue?

2. Also I think they have quite a lot of throttle travel.....

3. Hi Bilkos, funnily enough I don't have an issue with that as I like power to be spread across a pedals travel, rather than the modern 'sport button' approach of giving a vast percentage of power for minimal travel and then being left with an effectively dead pedal thereafter. What's bugging me is the sheer sluggish response to my inputs.

4. I find the electronic throttle quite sensitive in comparison to a throttle cable at the start of the pedal travel. However I blame the dual-mass flywheel in the megane for the awful throttle response, particularly with heel and toe. I reckon the DMF is pretty heavy and numbs a lot of the throttle response when trying to blip the engine.

It could be a combination of both heavy DMF and laggy WOT response :worried:

5. Hi Ewan, OK thanks, sounds like it's not just me then.. I agree with you that the response is almost overly sensitive to begin with, but I can get over that, and actually in regular driving once up and running it's pretty acceptable, it's just when pushing on that it unravels and doesn't seem to be able to keep up with more decisive inputs.

Your theory about the DMF would make sense, but the throttle must just be generally slow as well compounding the issue.

I have to say I'm struggling with the car between this and the terrible gearshift, the rattles and creaks I can put up with but expected a more dynamic experience from a Renaultsport product.. plenty of work to do!

6. The gearshift is massively improved with the short shift mod. I can guarantee that this improves the gear shift for you, and is worth 'fixing'!

At some point this year I am planning on fitting the lightened SMF in a hope to get better throttle response.

7. Thanks Ewan, I should of added that I've already had an engine dynamics short shift fitted, which whilst I understand this isn't the best, did make a positive improvement. My point was more that it should never have been so bad from factory!

8. I had no issues H+T with a SMF. the DMF dulls the experience in my opinion

9. I also have this problem so will be following the thread to see if you sort it

10. this problem is known wildely in the 197/200 scene. The throttle ramps are just really slow.

I've altered the throttle maps which improves throttle response massively. however besides the throttle maps it also has something to do with how the ecu operates.
    Not only is the throttle operated by the pedal vs throttle body but there's also a map that opens the throttle body depending on boost pressure and rpms, for instance if you floor it at 1500 revs the throttle body will only open about 40%

11. No its common
    its crap
    also if you rev it while stationary, when you take your foot off the gas it seems to take an age for the revs to come down
    Well in comparison to other cars anyway