225 225 should not be this slow surely?!

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Toby85, May 15, 2017.

1. Hi all,

I've had my megane for about a year now and has mostly been ok aside from a few niggles. However I've never really felt the performance was particularly impressive - feels strong from low down, comes on boost a little over 2000rpm, but never really builds up to anything impressive and just tails off from around 5,500rpm.

I always thought it's just how they are but recently 2 incidents have made me think something's amiss. I'm not a street racer but I had a clio 197 behind me a few days ago on a country road on a Sunday morning and I put my foot down and let the car rev out through 2nd and 3rd, the Clio actually levelled with me in 2nd and pulled me in through third.

I put this down to his car being modified but then today even worse! I was waiting to pass slower traffic on the motorway behind another car and a Mercedes c class came steaming up behind me, tail gating and flashing the lot. I ignored, then when the road in front opened up I thought why not, and opened it in 4th. And 5th. And he pulled slowly past me to reveal it was a lowly c220cdi - a ~190hp 2.0 diesel.

I assume I'm down on power here? I'd estimate it's at the 180hp mark by the rate the Mercedes passed, so any usual things to check? Seems to run sweet, picks up well, does whistle under brisk acceleration though but thought this was just a quirk!

Thanks in advance,

Toby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The mk2's do whistle, get it on a rolling road. Only way to really check.

3. Take it to local mechanic for pressure test and check for boost leaks . . .

Failing that if you're anywhere near RS Tuning in Leeds that would be my 1st port of call.