225 knocking;(

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by RMS225, Jul 17, 2014.

1. He all.
    Driving today and suddenly car starts knocking only when I decelerate it comes and goes. Not matter what speed it sounds the same???? Even when I coast out of gear.

2. Have you checked engine mounts?

And/or exhaust mounts? I had a knocking and it was one of the exhaust mounts! Cheap fix at £20-30 (ask Ads) for a new mount :smile:

3. Thanks bud but it's a constant knock that comes and goes. I had a look but need it up in the air so doing that today.

4. Ah, well good luck finding it!

5. Stick the car in neutral , handbrake on.

Rev it.

When you take the foot off the gas does it knock then ?

6. Hey all thanks for the help I've looked at everything and found there is side to side movement on both wheels. But looks like it moves the steering arms??

7. The megane steering rack isn't unknown to develop free play. New racks are about £80 I think, but Track Focus Direct sell a replacement bush that is supposed to fix the free play at £30. It could also just be wear in the steering arms, and you need to remove them to get to the rack...

8. £400 + for a new rack from renault.. i got mine reconditioned at £70.

9. £400! Lol, glad I went for the TFD bush then. I should be getting that fitted with new steering arms this week, hopefully this will remove the free play I have in the rack.