225 Inferno getting a 250 engine

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by ianplymouth, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Checked around tonight and can't find anything, but when i did start it it ran at around 1000 rpm and went up slightly as it warmed up, then i had a screech that seems to come from the front of the engine, not alternator or ac pump, it's had new cam belt, pulleys and water pump.
    I have left it to cool down and i will try again tomorrow night.

2. An update

Well i thought i would have another go at finding out what the problem is and finding that bloody screech.
    it was hard to pin point where the noise was coming from, it was sounding like the middle of the front of the engine, removed the alternator belt and that made no difference.
    Next thought was an air leak from somewhere so disconnected the vacuum pipes and blocked them off, still the same.
    So out came a can of maintenance spray with a direction straw attached, sprayed the area around the adaptor i made for the 225 throttle body, it did alter the engine sound a little so must be close, sprayed along the top of the intake manifold where it joins the cylinder head, same again altered the engine sound but didn't stop the noise.
    Then sprayed the underside of the manifold and the engine spluttered and cut out, restarted and run my fingers around and i could change the sound and then the screech stopped, how the hell does the gasket blow, engine has done 32k so i was told and i doubt it had been plated with mapping wise.
    Okay not a problem remove the manifold and found this

20140905_020023_zpstge3lpkw.jpg

20140905_015804_zpsidgyo8pa.jpg

Well the engine did come out of a crashed car :laughing:

3. That's bad luck. I have a 225 inlet manifold somewhere you could have had, but it would be little use on the 250.

4. I still have the engine i took out and that has a manifold on that, but i have just bought a used 250 manifold off of the bay, should be here Tuesday :sunglasses:
    All booked in at RS for a map tweek on the 30th, well i hope it's just going to be a tweek but it is what it is and i have also booked Oulton park on the 31st, well i need to try it out :laughing:

git-r and ewant81 like this.
  5. Don't forget to post the numbers you get at RST. I had Paul keep it roughly where it was before, what are you hoping for?

6. Paul was talking about 320 ish, going to push the torque as far as i can, bhp pushes up the insurance but torque doesn't :sunglasses:

ewant81 and git-r like this.
  7. Nice! Good luck then [emoji846]

8. Well this turned up today, yes this is how it was delivered :rage:

IMG_20170111_1745181_zpsygj6xgyt.jpg

And this was how it looked when i opened the box

IMG_20170111_1747381_zpszk2btnqm.jpg

9. Shocking. Does it look damaged at all? Will you be using the 250 throttle body when you get it mapped? If you are i will sort that adaptor out for you.

10. It's not damaged, there wasn't any packing what so ever, they cut all the wires to the plugs, cut all the pipes, what a waste.
    I have been advised to run with the 225 throttle body for now, until Tutuur sorts out the 250 TB linking to the ecu.
    I am at RST on the 30th for a remap, gotta get some trackdays in, first is Oulton Park on the 31st :sunglasses:
    Yes i still would like the adaptor please, so i can fit asap when the ecu problem is sorted.

11. Honestly, who sends a parcel like that!

12. Believe it or not it was "Renparts" wasn't that much choice here, there were a couple in Germany but high postage

13. Quite surprised that Renparts sent that. At least it isn't damaged.

14. came up okay when i cleaned it, no damage, it's on and running nice now, can't wait for it to be remapped now :laughing:

Not sure if i should drive it to Leeds or trailer it, don't want to damage the new engine.

deano9621 likes this.
  15. ecu will compensate during part load driving sho don't worry too much mate!

Momos likes this.
  16. so as long as i don't thash it, it will be okay to drive 330 miles to Leeds then.
    that will save me from hiring a trailer and then trying to find parking.

are you still after a engine cover ????

17. No got the cover in the meantime mate :smile: Yeah aslong as you just drive normally it'll be fine

ianplymouth likes this.
  18. Yeah, it'll be fine. I drove mine down from Glasgow to Leeds on the 225 map with no problems. Just keep it off boost and you will be ok [emoji846]

ianplymouth likes this.
  19. Ha Ha Ha it's all up hill from here, you were coming down :laughing:.

It's been mapped already, but not for the new engine, only two weeks now :sunglasses:

20. [emoji23] [emoji23]

What did you have it mapped with? 630s and bigger fmic..

21. It was already mapped before i got it, do not know who has done the map either, i have 630's to go in, i did fit them in the other engine and it ran so rich i took them straight back out, the only thing that was on it when i bought it was a cone filter and a straight through Miltec exhaust, but still had the cat.

ewant81 likes this.
  22. Sounds good, best to drive it down in as close state the last map was on. Swapping injectors takes minutes.

Did you swap the engine out for fun then? Doesn't sound like there was enough on the old engine for it to pop

23. Basically yes just for fun, nothing wrong with the engine i took out and was still going strong with 117K miles on the clock, i was going to forge it but the 250 engine came up at a good price (cheaper than a set of pistons and conrods) and as it was a lot lower mileage seems like a good idea to go that route.

git-r and ewant81 like this.
  24. Going forged and making use of it in the 225 means big turbo, and new fuel system imo. That adds a lot of expense. If you are sticking with the 225 fuel pump then forged is probably a waste of time. As you said, you can pick up a 250 engine for less and not have the worry of any issues with an engine rebuild. Of course, this is my opinion and the route I took!

rTEM and ianplymouth like this.
  25. Si.

Si.

Good progress mate!

Will be in contact soon about fitting some parts.. on a budget so is taking awhile longer to get it all together

Will keep an eye for when its back from RSTuning.. you must be excited haha

26. It's going to be quick! Can't wait for you to whip Christian in his chav wagon :smile:

27. I wish i went the 250 way, cheaper and less trouble

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ewant81 likes this.
  28. Well, only a small bit more info, collected my front disc from the machinist a couple of hours ago, it's now back on and the car is now sitting on all 4 wheels, was going to take it out for it's first drive tonight since the engine being fitted, but i looked outside and it's raining.
    So will take it out tomorrow, leaving midday on Sunday to drive to Leeds for setting up at RS tuning, then leave there drive to Middlewich for a trac kday at Oulton Park on Tuesday. :sunglasses:

ewant81 likes this.
  29. I am now a bit pissed off, track day has been cancelled due to emergency power grid work aahhhhhhhhhh
    So drive to RS, map and drive back

30. that's a bummer Ian....bet your not a happy bunny...sorry to hear that mate

31. 660 miles round trip for a remap :rage:

32. It'll be worth it mate, good luck today!

rTEM and ianplymouth like this.
  33. Great effort mate, let us know how you get on

34. Just hang around the silverstone circuit until the 20th Ian. If I can ill come over to Rs tuning on Monday & watch your set up. What time you booked in for.
    Lee

ianplymouth likes this.
  35. Hi Lee
    I am booked in at 10am @RS, i am trying to rearrange the hotel dates as it is to late to cancel my hotel for Oulton Park.
    They have added me to there trackday on the 18th Feb at no extra cost, so it will be Oulton Park on the 18th and Silverstone on the 20th Feb, going to be one hell of a shake down :sunglasses:

Be good to meet up

36. It wil be a busy few days for you between the 18th & 20th. I'm just waiting to see if I'm going to pick a Lorry up from Redruth on Monday morning.
    Lee

37. If you don't, i will see you at RS then, Redruth is a way down from me, you using the A30 ???? nice Pasties from there.:laughing:

38. Waiting for an update.....

39. I saw the results but I'll let Ian post the finished article. :smile:.
    Lee