225 engine strength

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Ljacobs, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Hi, I am currently putting a 225 engine and gearbox into my clio which is used for track days and the occasional weekend blast.

I am rebuilding the turbo as it was leaking oil and I'm considering fitting the 250 spec wheels if they fit inside the standard 225 spec housings - see my other thread.

What I'm after is some advice in regards to what power levels I can safely achieve for track day use.

Spec of the engine will be standard apart from:
    *3in downpipe (decat)
    *high flow intercooler
    *td04h-15t (assuming the internals fit)
    *630cc injectors
    *lightweight solid mass flywheel and r26.r clutch

I'm not too concerned about maximum torque as I believe that's what kills the connecting rods but what is the safe track day spec with the above spec without forging?

Thanks
    Lee

2. Hi Lee
    you are only going to get about 260-275hp with those mods, it will all depend on the engine some give more power standard some less.
    Not sure if the internals of the turbo will swap over, i went straight for the 250 turbo and had that made into a hybrid 20t.

My 225 had a 250 engine fitted, single mass and R26r clutch, with the hybrid was running 320hp and 340ftlb torque gearbox and clutch were fine with that and it was only used for trackdays.

3. Thanks for the reply. I was hoping my setup might get towards the 280-290bhp but limit the max torque to 280lbft to save the conrods.

4. they dont all go bang if tuned.
    Still seems a very grey area, in regards to excessive torque killing the engine.
    I still think it comes down a lot to the remap.
    My own car has run 290lb/ft for 10 years on a RS Tuning map done at their facility.
    Could still just come down to the luck of the draw though.

Si271 likes this.
  5. My mates track r26 is the same spec as you listed (15t turbo) with an rs tuning remap and is capped at 296bhp 299lbft, has run that spec for two years, only does track days, gets used hard and never misses a beat.

Si271 likes this.
  6. My R26 is running 302bhp and 303lbft on standard internals, it's been this spec for about two and a half years with no problems at all, I keep it well maintained tho, probably due to having a little paranoia about it shitting itself! [emoji23]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

7. again...i think the map has a lot to do with it.
    I know a guy whos rods bent like bananas on a tuned R26 when cruising on a motorway
    The general idea was that they let go when max torque is applied..hence the under 300lb/ft limit.
    Not the case for him.
    Pay your money,take your chance.

Si271 likes this.