225 "Check airbag" after cold weather

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by IceKold0, Jan 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Are the Meganes (and any other car with an airbag, I suppose) notorious for showing "Check airbag" after the car has been sat cold, say overnight?

My car: 2007 225 full fat.

Just wondering if this is fairly normal? I've never noticed the light coming on for any longer than the normal self-check during startup... however my father is working on my car and has noticed, for the first time since he picked it up and started working on it a couple of days ago, that the "Check aibag" shows on the dash and the airbag light has come on, but has mentioned that the previous night had been very cold.

Just wondered if others have this and confirm that it goes out once warned up? What part of the system being cold would cause the light to come on?

2. Could the cold weather cause the contacts in the circuit to contract zand, when come to start, the self-test notices a circuit fault, the temperature warms up and the contacts meet once again and make a successful circuit (thus turning the light off)?

Any way of permanently fixing this? Re-seat the contacts? Where on the car would the contacts need to be re-seated (I suppose "any" part of the airbag system...)?

3. Have the front seats been moved to furthest front or rear position?

4. Oo, good question... I hoovered the car before my father collected it... that would have meant I moved the seats to their furthest forward and rear positions...

However, before he collected it we were able to start the car (and it's been started numerous times prior to me cleaning it) without the fault...

Definitely one to look at, though. Thank you!