2005 rs225 starter motor specs?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Lee Robertson, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Anyone tell me what the output of rs225 starter motors should be?I've just replaced the starter motor but it's just blowing the 25 amp starter fuse everytime you hit the start button.
    I've read it should be 1.1kw??

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

I am not surprised its blowing fuses, sure it should be 400amp, 1100w Divided by 12v equals 91.66 amps.

3. I'm not saying the one I've put on is 1100w!:-)I just want to check,or know what the motor should be before I try another starter,1100w was just a rating i've seen on Ebay for a few for sale.

4. ianplymouth

Most starter motors are at least 1kw on some applications you can be looking at 2.5kw that's on cars, if you look into big plant or trains you could be looking at 30kw +, did a test on a truck a long time ago and that would pull over a thousand amps.

25 amp fuse is way too small.

have you tried to rock the car with it in gear, if the engine is seized or hydraulic locked it will blow a 400amp fuse.

5. 25 amps is the standard fuse size for the solenoid wire for the megane.Either the solenoid is faulty in the new motor,or as i''ve tried to find out here,is what wattage of starter motor should be on these cars,at least I got the 400 amps answer which is a start,maybe it's just the wrong wattage of starter i''ve been given,don't know.
    Car bump started no problem to get me home.

6. ianplymouth

The starter must be faulty, or the wires are not connected to where they should be, or they are touching something they shouldn't, the solenoid will draw an 1 amp or just over.

7. It did actually start two times with the new starter before it started blowing fuses,which was odd.I thoroughly cleaned all the connections and made sure everything was clear.
    Incidentally,if anyone's worried about doing the starter on these it's piss easy,don't know what most people are on about,both battery terminals off,jack up car and do it all from underneath,take the supporting brace cross member off(4 nuts),bracket off between engine block and down pipe,then unplug then take off o2 sensor,then starter heat shield(leave in place,top bolt hard to get to,broken someone broken it before).
    Take off two starter motor leads,push them up to the left out the way,then take off three bolts that hold on starter on,looking from below lower bolt is on starter side,other two on bell housing side,once you feel up where they are whip them off with shortish 13mm ring spanner.
    Push bellhousing end of starter up in the air away from you as far as possible,then bring it down with the opposite end facing you,with the starter near vertical,slight wiggle about and out it comes!!!
    No need to remove driveshaft.When refitting starter back up in the same orientation you brought it down,mount bottom of starter heat shield into place on the stud while manoeuvering starter into place,don't try and get starter into it's place with the heat shield flapping about loose,you'll tear your hair out!!
    Try and get bottom bolt of starter nearest you in first,then put all bolts etc back on!:-)Then when your new starter is f*cked,do it all again lol.

Ian Hughes likes this.