225 2005 (55) Megane 225 short shifter advice

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Liam collins, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Evening all.

I’ve got myself a 225 I intend to turn into a track and occasional road use car!

First question (of many I’m sure) is what short shifter to go for? I’ve head the ones you can get from this link...

https://www.engine-dynamics.com/Tra...Megane-225-/-230-Short-Shift-Gear-Linkage.asp

Are only for the facelift 225’s? Mine is a phase 1, would this still fit?

Thanks in advanced all [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Hi Liam
    If you are sure its a phase one 225, then this is about as cheap and easy fix there is possible.

This is the case of drilling a hole, tapping it and screwing in an 8mm ball

3. Are there any photos of anyone doing this? I’m pretty sure mine has the phase 1 front end? Any other sure fire way to tell?

Thanks for the reply. [emoji106][emoji106]

4. Can you take a pick of it ???

5. Basically draw a line from the centre of the gear shaft and the ball thats there and measure 20mm in from the old ball, thats where you need to drill the hole, best to drill it for an 8mm tap and lock a nut off on the under side as well

6. https://rsmegane.com/threads/short-shift.1898/

here you go..guide for mk1 and mk2 shortshifts.
    first you need to find out if you have the small phase 1 linkage or the larger phase 2 item.
    the change over year is 2005..which can be a mixture of both types.

You need to take your battery tray out,and that will expose what type of linkage you have.
    if its phase 1...easy diy.
    if its phase 2 its a machine job..buy from ktec,or contact phil watkins who i know has a reconditioned unit right now.

The engine dynamics item will only work correct with the early twin spring actuator..its to small to work correct with the later single spring actuator,as the balance is off,and the change will be notchy.

7. also..before you fit a shortshift..if the change is stiff,and the gearlever doesnt self center out of gear,then the actuator is tired and needs a overhaul.They ALL need this eventually.

8. Would you recommend getting a new actuator and doing it all at once? Car is on 130k

Gear shift would be lose if anything. There’s a fair bit of finding 1st instead of accidentally grabbing 3rd and likewise with 2nd and 4th

Thanks for all the help so far everyone!

9. If you can get hold of Phil Watkins he refurds the actuator and adds the short shift at the same time on a exchange basis.he is on here and the Facebook page.if it hasn’t been done,it will defo need it.it will then totally change the feel and throw of the gearshift.

Liam collins likes this.
  10. Mega thank you mate [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

11. Ktec do a new actuator and shortshift package as well if you have no luck with phil.But its much more expensive.You do get a brand new actuator though, which is £130 from renault alone.