175 Cat / Turbo Replacement

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Jakg, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Planning on changing the cat and turbo in my car.

I know on the petrol mods the cat is a nightmare with removing driveshafts etc - which is why the book time is 9 / 12 hours respectively.

Looking at the workshop manual for the diesel it doesn't look that bad and the book time is half - 5 / 6.5 hours respectively.

Is it just as bad or is it a bit easier?

Golden questions - doable on axle stands?

2. Don't know about axle stands. The biggest problem is how hard the bolts will get loose. If they get loose fast is not a big deal. Start by removing the exhaust line under the car. Then it is easy.

S.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

3. Get them cherry red hot if you need to and then they'll come off! (The nuts that is).

RS 175 Cup Lux

4. Any progress with this?

I tried today to remove the DPF on the drive.

I struggled. End result is I didn't succeed. What didn't help was a major hangover and freezing cold conditions but anyway;

I got the DPF mounts off which was fiddly enough. Then I asked to be able to get onto either of the actual DPF to flexi studs. Top one I couldn't even see/get my hand on. Tried going through the front but no joy.

I think disconnecting it from the rest of the exhaust may have allowed it to be wiggled but still looked tight.

Questions:

Do you have to remove the flexi with the DPF first?

Do you disconnect the sensors at the DPF or further forwards?

Again I couldn't see where they go due to the heat shield and DPF in the way

5. Not yet - I got a DPF bypass pipe the other day but I'm waiting for some new gaskets and bolts to arrive before I try fitting.

The manual doesn't make it look that hard but famous last words...

6. Yeah this image suggests it isn't.

Think my issue was compounded by leaving the heat shield in place

[​IMG]

What does the manual state the procedure is? Basically?

RS 175 Cup Lux

7. You should be able to see the manual here - https://www.scribd.com/doc/65408492/MR364MEGANE1 - see page 1,426.

8. Thanks.
    No it didn't work for me. Asks to join up with a fee. I can just see the first three pages.

Not to worry. End result is the same. It's still bloody on the car and my "working on the car credit time" has been used for the weekend and I'll now be dragged round somewhere mundane like next or the range or some other God awful place when I could be working on this! [emoji57]

RS 175 Cup Lux

9. Thanks a lot for that!
    Indeed it seems it comes off with the front flexi attached. Also the strut brace has to come off too!

Hmm!!

RS 175 Cup Lux

10. So as I had the mapping booked for today I let them do the DPF.

They removed it from the cat at the flexi. Same as the book suggested not how it appears to have been done in the image above.

Anyway it's now blowing there as they didn't have a new gasket and "made one up" which probably means paste.

So I'm gonna get a proper gasket in there and hopefully it'll all be sorted.

Sensible power gains to 196bhp from 158bhp and torque to 304ftlbs

RS 175 Cup Lux

11. This is the gasket I bought - yet to fit - http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/331976540952?_mwBanner=1
    8200045668 - Klarius 410579

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  12. Yeah me too!
    That's the one between the DPF and the flexi.
    The garage removed mine as per the book and disconnected it at the flexi to the cat and didn't touch this joint. The gasket needed for this joint is a three stud triangular job

13. Ah I get you - I think that's part 8200030251 then?

I think this is it - http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/search/712745641 - Klarius 410488.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  14. Thanks.
    Turns out it's a sheared stud so is back with the garage to deal with.
    Replaced two of the three studs with bolts and nuts and left the third sheared off.
    [emoji57]

RS 175 Cup Lux

15. Not helpful for you now I'm sure, but more for anyone else who comes across this via Google.

The studs are 8200070652 - £5.50 each.
    The nuts are 7703034303 or 7703034217 - £1 each.

Two secure the DPF to the flexi, and three secure the DPF to the cat.

The studs are M8, 42mm total length of which 35mm is threaded.

You can pick up a set of 4 nuts & studs on eBay for £2.40 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182290624950

16. Thanks. Think they were drilled and through bolted.
    Not had chance to look but they apparently had a game with it. It's quiet now anyway.
    Not sure about feeling much quicker though.
    No EGR/DPF, +40bhp/+50lbsft and not much different.

It is helping to lock up the swivel bearing though I'm still yet to do!

[emoji57]

RS 175 Cup Lux