£23K for a Megane 250......

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Aerofoil, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Yeah that's reasonable, because none of us can properly test it anyway

From my perspective please note very clearly what I've been saying as I don't want to be caught up in anything other than the specific comment about rigidity in this instance.

*That car* and *that cage* will make little difference. I've explained that in more detail previously, but that cage is not anything like a full-on cage that gets welded to a bare chassis. It's a compromise so as not to destroy the car, but equally does make it more safe on track (though less safe on the road, as no helmets get worn)

BUT, cages are about *safety* first and foremost and my opinion is that the cage here, in a modern Megane, offers very little rigidity and the extra weight probably makes it slower, and puts more stress on the car because it's more weight to move, stop, and chuck round a corner

Lewis likes this.
  2. NJH

NJH

Pretty much any car in which fixed race bucket seats and multipoint harnesses are installed should have a roll cage for safety reasons (+ head restraint system ala HANS or alternative). The pictures posted before of Mk3 Meganes that have rolled on the Nurburgring explain the point for themselves, if your short and have to sit forward and a bit high say good bye to your neck and hello to the wheelchair (if you survive) after a roll over. Even if one sits low and far back are you confident the B pillars and roof will not come down on you in your fixed position. Yes its 100% correct that race cars only have roll cages for safety but the logic of why they are fitted is little different for a track car that isn't raced.

Weight shouldn't be a much of a mod route on a track day car for the simple reason that you will never notice the time difference gained, the gaps in performance on track days are huge, noticeable differences will be 10 seconds per lap or more. I didn't realise how much time is gained and lost until I started racing, its unbelievably depressing to drive almost identically to a guy in front yet that car length he pulls in each corner ends up being 2 seconds over the lap even on a short circuit. When I was looking at my mates data and mine around Silverstone I worked out that 2 mph difference in the corners gave about 3.7 seconds over the lap, and this 2 mph will be barely noticeable at all in 80+ mph corners. A causal track side observer no chance, just the more extravagant drivers look faster.

3. Regarding weight reduction for a trackday car not being much of a mod route, you could equally apply the same theory to any other performance or handling modification. They all play a part in an overall more capable track performance.

Lewis likes this.
  4. For a road car that cage looks like it'd make it dangerous to drive without a helmet, imagine smacking your head on one of those bars, ouch!

No doubt some of the parts fitted are nice (I do like those CAE shifters) but not £23k nice.

5. NJH

NJH

What does more capable track performance mean and what is its value to a track day car? Suspension tyres and brakes can make a car much more fun to drive and exploitable on the limit for longer. Saving 30 kg on my race car for example I simulated to give about 0.5 seconds per lap (short circuit) and the experience of fellow racers and similar car builders felt roughly the same. 10% Bhp and Ib/ft about the same improvement. Even big gains like 3 to 4 seconds you will never notice on a track day car unless your timing.

Its staggering really to see people ruin perfectly nice cars by stripping them for trackdays, gain something that will make little to no difference in their track day performance and fun but ruin the NVH and general usability of the car on the road.

6. What I would say is that reducing the weight improves the agility of the car. That's common sense, thus making it more nimble and entertaining to drive and helping it change direction more quickly. But yea the extent to which you strip it can vary and the gains become negligible after removing the heaviest items (rear seats etc).

RE: CAE shifter - the gear change on the Megane isn't great. For example it was much more positive in my Clio 200, so I see the cae as a relevant modification. If you're hammering it on track you do not want to be fluffing a gear change, especially coming into a corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  7. For NJH:

Depends how serious you are as a trackday user. You can take 30 kg out of a Megane by just removing the rear seats. Stick them back in post event, no loss in NVH and no cost. Other non-NVH limiting options also exist.

Your point also applies to modified suspension and tyres (unless you run spare wheels), you have to live with the NVH or ride compromise as a daily driver.

I'm not suggesting weight takes priority over brakes, tyres, power or suspension etc it's just part of the overall improvement you can make as a combined package. Some will have a better lap time/£ gain than others.

Just run a standard car on a trackday? Some do but a huge number don't and run some seriously modified or even trailered in cars. Many use a trackday even as a cheap test day. No set rules.

8. Ideally you want two cars. A Megane RS for daily, and a beast of a track car which doesn't need to adhere to the constraints of usability comfort etc.

When I was younger and only had one car I had a fully stripped and caged Saxo that I'd drive to London everyday for work. Was brutal in the summer. All black inside and out. Had to get naked one year driving home as it was so so hot![emoji51]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  9. I could have stripped mine but didn't want to go down the route of stripping the car to bare bone and I'm even getting the rear carpeted. Rather it look tidy then be out and out stripped considering I very much doubt I'll notice the difference
    IMG-20160603-WA0050_zpsa34iipyp.jpg

NJH and Lewis like this.
  10. NJH

NJH

This is the whole point though isn't it. What is a serious trackday user? Is it someone who wants to win at trackday (which I personally think is much of the reason for making track day cars), or is it someone who does a lot of track days? If its the later then its arguable that any megane is the wrong car anyway as one would likely have more fun, go faster and for much less money on running costs doing it with a trailered Caterham.

11. Many hours could be consumed analysing track car choice and the individual motivational aspects of why people attend. An eclectic mix.

Not sure trailering a Caterham works out cheaper than a Megane, but much depends on already having a suitable tow car, trailer, available storage and also the budget for a dedicated track Caterham.

One area that I always find amusing are drivers that seriously spend to modify their cars but can't quite work out why a standard car laps quicker.

12. Yeah there's always a wazzock or two, but it doesn't really bother me.

13. I can't see that if the car is well modified it would be slower than a standard one. That doesn't make any sense? (@Aerofoil)

I personally think it's just about having fun. So long as you're happy with your car and really enjoy using it who gives a fuck what the geeks think about how much it's cost you to build or how fast it. [emoji1591]

Nmp and sunnylunn like this.
  14. Depends on whose driving each car.

Many people spend large modifying their cars to achieve a quicker lap time when all they need to do is spend little and just modify (improve) themselves.

15. I don't have the house for a trailer, track car, and car to tow the trailer

Else I would have a V8 MX5

The Megane is the most practical car that is capable round a track I could find

As for other mods... The main reason for stripping weight in my eyes is to reduce the strain upon the car on track but that's less relevant for the Megane

Is very worthwhile for BMWs and larger saloon cars (like a Focus RS :wink:)

jayp250rs likes this.
  16. NJH

NJH

Agree 100%. I have a trailer sat in front of my garage and a race car sat in said garage. Trailering is an utter PITA, I live about 35 min from Thruxton but trailering adds that time again at each end of a journey, also means I can't use my garage or 2/3rds of the driveway. Part of why I bought the Megane was to see if I could part with my race car and just use the Meg for the occasional track day. Complicated now as I love both cars in different ways, only reason I still have the race car and trailer is neither are loosing value at the moment.

17. Thats my outlook. I track mine and done quite a few in it now. I just want to go out and drive it. Have a giggle at the things that leave you on the straights that cost a lot of money...probably 4 or 5 times what mine cost, then reel them in on the twisty bits.

Not to say that i'm not going to mod, but its for my own enjoyment and improving the car for me to have fun..

Lewis and Nmp like this.
  18. R26

R26

Clearly I've upset you, nice to know you still think of me.

Mwah

19. I run a R26,does Track days, and Tesco runs. I go with a group of people,and I am by far, the slowest in the group. Cornering ability/brakes/power?. Does not make any difference to my mediocre ability. BUT, i still get a lot of enjoyment from it. What ever want to do with their cars,is up to them,and is fine by me.

20. I might have upset you more for you looking for my posts. Unless you're still thinking of me, sorry to disappoint you but I am not gay.

Any track days yet ?

21. That car or any other car modded is not worth the extra money
    But as we are all enthusiasts (all forums bikes included) we like to mod the cars we buy from start to finish we all put our personal identity on
    And that's why we see a lot of forums that owners have tried selling but can't cause of the mods they have put on;so they sell the parts separately and then the car sells

For not much more you can have a 275 trophy r
    That megane 250 that got 400bhp a few years back was It?. don't think they sold it for anywhere near that price and it was newer at the time

22. R26

R26

Sadly your post was amongst other more interesting posts. Nice to see you’re still belittling people that don’t agree with you, good to see you apologise though.

23. A lot of people seem to be forgetting this ^^ ... Just go out and have fun. But trying to recoup money on modded cars is always going to end in tears.

24. Nice Freudian projection there - I am only belittling one troll with zero track or motorsport experience who insists on giving lessons on car dynamics despite not understanding the very very basics, ie the traction circle, in other words you.

25. R26

R26

Still biting.

Can you list all your trackdays again?

26. Still biting.

Can you list yours ? Shouldn't take long.

27. R26

R26

I did the kessel run last year.

28. And it's still for sale.

29. Bump time.

Nearly 10 months later this modified car at K-tec is STILL for sale. Reduced by £3000 now. Rusting away.

Big lesson for those that think big power and bling orientated mods might be worth it.

30. It's never going to sell at that price regardless of what's been done to it.

Pipps310 likes this.
  31. I've spent a few bob on mine and love it, it's a pretty capable track car now, I'm really not bothered about recouping what I've spent on it, I know I'd get nothing close back, but to me, it's been worth every penny. I always book instruction on the numerous track days I do every year at most of the uk tracks with a few of my mates all running modded megane, plus my brother in law in a caterham r500, I'm not bothered who's faster or any of the other trolling going on, I just go to have a great few days out with my mates, I even take my carbon bonnetSo much bollox criticising fellow car nuts on here, get yourselves a car and go enjoy yourself

32. What a strange thread...

33. I don`t think there are many people that modify to what ever extent, think that its going to be a great financial investment or they are going to recoup shit loads for their mods. If they do they are either thick or stupid.

I don`t think plastic rusts either.

34. Certainly an award winning set of issues surfaced and even now the predictable late joining personal offload.

35. oh mate

Xanda73 likes this.
  36. Well K-Tec think its worth it.

Wonder what they picked it up for. They seem reluctant to shift on at true value.

37. I reckon they may let it go for a reasonable offer, a LOT less than the asking price

38. It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. People on here may not think it's worth it, Ktec obviously do, someone else might too and stump up the cash for it.

As for whether the mods were effective or a good use of money, I can't say it really matters. It was the guy's money, he built a car he liked, good luck to him.

Not sure I really see what all the fuss is about.

Xanda73 and Semtax like this.
  39. Mine wasn't far off that cars spec and I would in no way try that money. I've since removed the cage and fixed buckets for trophy leather/alcantara recaros which has given me back a practical fun fast road/track car. I've also picked up a very cheap Clio 172 that I will do most of my track work in. I've thought about selling my car and even as it sit it's well specced but can't be worth more then say £13500

sunnylunn likes this.