Why did you

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Zs_phil, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Why did you buy your megane rs

for me it was an impulse buy really; I'd had my civic type r 2 years and never got along with it I was missing turbo power coming from a focus rs and a blob eye scooby before that.
    id been looking for awhile at cars but never did I look at the megane I knew they had great ratings etc but turned a blind eye to them.
    Then I just so happened to search on autotrader and noticed one near ikea (wife wanting day out) so I thought hmmm ill go and have a nosey
    We looked around it the wife loved it and so did my girls but one of the biggest factors was the 5 seat belts and recaros and massive boot space
    nearly didn't though cause the sales guy was an absolute cock and I hate it when they think they know it all but thought ill only have to see him once or twice so why not.

1 year anniversary on the 25th and only seen about 5 in the last year and that's driving across Yorkshire and the lakes and down south to Newquay

2. I'd had my first car, a fiat Punto for nearly 5 years and really wanted something with a bigger engine and more room in the back/boot.

I'd always liked the look of the Megane and wasn't planning on getting a hot hatch, as I was 23 and didn't think I'd get insured on one.

I got a few good quotes and after seeing a few on auto trader for a reasonable price, I had to get one!

2 years later and I'm still extremely happy with it. Hopefully even more on Wednesday when I'm getting a stage one at RS Tuning!

3. I used to have a focus tdci exciting eh it was about 600 for my last years insurance my insurance on the meg is 280 fully comp couldn't believe it I got made redundant from my old job so i got a good pay out after being there a good few years i also had a bot saved up and my two best mates offered me a new job to walk straight into lucky me i worked with a lad before who had the ph1 224 and loved how it looked i spent a bit of time deciding what i wanted i couldn't quite afford a r26 but then i found one i thought was cheap enough and snapped it up only problem is now i average about 220 hours a month which means i have money to spend on my meg but not so much time to enjoy it lol

4. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Wrote my 172 off. Needed a car. Borrowed some cash and upgraded to the 225. Never looked back.

5. eerrr watched it roll off the transporter through the window on 13th April 2004. Thought oh god what have they done (as I didn't like it)

walked past it every day in the show room for 2 months

got to drive it then every day for the lunch run as it was my boss' car for 2 months.......... worked out what they had done..... LIKED IT

my boss had it taken off him to go on the sales pitch and just after they had finished cleaning it.... I walked through, saw the sale manager and bought it

CX 04 VGC will be 10 this year!!!! OMG!!!!!!

but I still remember our sales manager getting told off by renault UK as the 225 wasn't being released/launched until Sat May 1st 2004, but we'd already registered 'my' car and put 800 miles on it!!! :wink:

6. Always wanted a LY R26 when i had my LY R27.

Saw this one come up for sale. I knew the history of the car. Thought it was too good to refuse.

Traded in my newer Megane Coupe for it.

7. Had an arctic blue 182 for 3 years, Done 50,000 miles in it and loved it to bits.

Was browsing Clio sport one day and saw a thread about upgrading from a 182 to a 225, looked on ebay at how much they cost out of curiousity and came across a LY R26. Within two days I went and bought it and sold my 182 to my mate. lol. Always wanted a LY car, and tbh I'd never even thought about a Megane or seen an R26 before. Loved the look of it as soon as I saw them on ebay.

8. I also had a 172 which I wrote off but I'd already started saving up for a LY R26 after seeing an advert for one in FHM. I had never been interested in the Megane before, thought it looked ugly but that picture....
    I found one for sale on the Renault Sport forum and travelled up on the train to north Wales from Essex with the cash in my pocket to buy it. The drive home was epic.

Best test drive ever :smiley:

9. I got my RS because I wrecked the gearbox in my Skyline and wanted something quick/cheap/safer for the winter months (as I nearly killed myself on the ice last year in the liner). I also wanted something completely different than the usual Type R stuff.

Sadly it will be getting sold in April to buy yet another Skyline for the summer, but I have loved my time with it so far, may try out a 172 Clio next winter :smile:

10. I wanted my wife to get a job closer to home and bus it so I could get something stupid like an RX7 or a TVR. But that wasn't happening.

11. I had a Nisan 350z but needed more seats.

I had seen the R26 not long after it was launched at a performance French night at Ace Cafe. I had a 172 at the time. So when the 350 had to go I knew that the R26 was the way to go. Initially I wanted it in LY but at the time there wasn't one close enough, but there was a black one local to me in Cardiff. I took it for a test drive and traded in the 350 and haven't looked back.

The R26 and I have been together for 3 years now it's as fast as the 350 was and IMHO handles better. It's how i met my mrs. She spotted it in the car park in work and we got talking about it and her love of anything fast with four wheels, and we went from there.

I drive the R26 every day, I've taken it on track and I'm still learning how hard I can push it. I love it.

12. I saw the tv advert for the R26 in 2006 and knew straight away I wanted one. However only being 16 I had a few obstacles! In between then I had a mk1 clio, a Saxo vtr, an arctic blue 182 and finally bought my LY R26 in 2012 and I love it!

13. @Andy_C. I quite fancy a 350z. How did it compare to the Meg performance wise?

14. My 350z was one of the last 313bhp models, they have a higher top end and pull all the way to the red line, unlike a meg that starts to run out of puff. But acceleration is around the same and at least my R26 feels just as fast as my old 350.

15. Thanks mate. Interesting. The 350z has more torque than a stock R26 anyway doesn't it?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  16. Was planning on selling my 172 as i liked something bigger, someone contacted me on my advert and asked if i wanted to trade the clio for a Meg 225, i thought why not, so here it is...
    As much as i love the Meg i still miss the cart feeling the clio gave me

17. Liquidf1

Liquidf1 Forum Trader

Had afew fast cars from passing my test but I needed to trade a car in quickly so got a boring Audi a3 1.6 from a renault dealer. Remember my dad looking at a r26 in liquid yellow they had in there was one of the first in the country, I thought it looked awful. Got bored of the Audi traded in and made money on it from the same dealer (odd) got a racing blue 182 that had some issues that needed sorting under warranty so I only had it afew weeks but they had a liquid yellow r26 so they took the 182 back and I left in the R26 :smile: had that for afew years built it into a similar r and was doing trackdays then it came out of warranty and the R was a logical step. I test drove the r I have now and didn't buy it just wasn't sure if it was a step up, then did a trackday at oulton and took an r out for afew laps, ended up leaving the trackday early driving straight to the dealer and buying it (luckily as there was a guy trying to buy it there and then)

To Chris and Andy got a lovely 350z in now early model,1 owner from new and 12k I had bought it but now it's all finished he want's it back :smile:

[​IMG]

18. I'd really love one, but my GF would prefer we got a 250/265! Won't be for another year anyway. I shouldn't complain I guess, I'm lucky she's into fast cars as it is!

19. Always liked them since they came out and when the costs of running my impreza/skyline started to take there tole on the bank account and finding out my wife was expecting our first child I decided to sell up and get a fast family car that everyone could use but that did not cost the earth to run/maintain.

For the money you can pick them up for now I cant think of many better cars to buy.

20. They are a great balance between performance and practicality.

21. I owned my Clio 200 Cup from new and was planning on keeping it but a merging lorry had different thoughts so I was stuck in a situation where I had a Renault clio, repaired by Renault and on Renault Finance that i no longer wanted. So to keep things simple I traded it back into a Renault dealer and rather than get another Clio the only logical step was to try the Megane :smile:

22. Yes I think so. I think my R26 is mapped as it feels a lot more powerful than 230bhp.

23. When I get on my laptop I'll post some images of the 350z. If I change the R26 it will prob be for a 370z.

I'm lucky my mrs loves fast cars too she's after a Lotus Elise next.

24. Im unlucky my missus isnt a fan of fast cars at all sge drives a 1.4 fiesta tdci lol she wanting to trade it for a new one i been telling her to get a twingo rs but she doesnt seem up for it lol

25. Please do mate. There's a white 370z nismo round by me. Looks ace. Can really see the family resemblance between it and the GTR. Wonder what the values on 370Z's will be in a years time......

26. Sorry its taken so long to get these images up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. I bought mine because i wanted something that i wouldnt get bored with and i could use on track. I did a fair bit of research as i wanted a focus Rs, but i couldn't justify the extra fuel cost, insurance cost and extra 7k purchase price when the megane 250 is the best all rounder and cheaper. plus, i prefer the frenchies :wink: :wink:

28. Thanks Andy. Looks fantastic, especially in that last picture.

29. Performance bargain! 3 Meg's and a 182, Good value for money if you aren't fussed about German build quality!!

30. Thanks mate. When I was looking through the photos I have of it I did have a pang of sadness that I didn't keep it.

31. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Love the look of that zed. Really want to scratch and itch and have one, but I know I'd get bored of it.

32. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Main reason i bought mine was because insurance on M3's were still crazy, Like over 2.5k. Only going to cost and extra £100 quid now to insure one over the Megane so it will be up for sale later this year.

It is a fantastic car out the box that can do everything, Go to the shops then head to a track day without changing anything and it will be one of the quicker cars on track, I will miss mine when it goes tbh but onwards and upwards

33. Rare and very good performance for the money!

34. Best hot-hatches around IMO.

35. My company had a 225 cup in their fleet which one day I got to drive. Was blown away by it, 3 years later I bought my R26 and the feeling of excitement hadn't faded in that time

36. miss it ..... when your chasing the redline on that straight 6 (assuming E46) you won't miss nothing :wink:

37. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Yeah likely to be an E46 unless E92 prices drop when the M3/4 is released. The engine is a peach, driven quite a few and love them.

Stock brakes will be binned for some APs though

38. Daz

Daz

I got one because I couldn't find another Williams that was worth the money, they were all sheds!

Plus I fancied a bit of boost! And I can't help going for limited editions or special editions...

39. I've been sorrely tempted by one Jamie, but the list of parts needing replacement and short replacement intervals put me off!! The rear arch rust, the rear tranny mounts ripping off and needing replacement, the potential hg issues at circa 100k, the dampers needing replacement every 40k or so... I thought megs were high maintenance with the steering racks etc, but jeeez!!

I'd been looking at s2000's recently, but I'm not sure if I can take the drop in power over the Meg... and the decided lack of torque. They are supposed to be needle-sharp handling-wise though, which combined with proper throttle response does make them a hoot to drive....

back on topic; I'd been mucking about with Peugeots sfor years, progressing to a couple of GTi6s in the years prior to the Megane. I spent ages looking at something that was a step up from those cars, but less of a compromise (the final spec of the last '6 wasn't exactly commute-friendly!), and the Megane was the only thing that fitted the bill. Plus I've had a hankering for one for a while. I went to see ALC's, indending only to look to get a good idea of what to expect, but was sold as soon as I'd seen and driven it. And being on 21k when I bought it and so meticulously looked after, I knew I was extremely unlikely to find a better one!

40. a bit off topic, but my thinking on the s2000 and the power drop is to supercharge it. there are plenty of places that do it to bring the power up to meg levels, and cause the engine is forged from the factory then can take a bit of charge! :wink:

tbh I think am trying to convince myself here..