which intercooler ?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by frankie robertson, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Got pro alloy one on mine. Heard mixed reviews about airtec. Think t and biskits on this forum had airtec fitted and had issues. But only heard good things about pro and highly recommended by rs tuning aswell. Also other cooler which is supposed to be good is wagner.

2. Run airtec stage 1 on my hybrid. Works spot on. Different places recommend different products.
    ED love airtec but said wagner was one of the worst so just get what you want really.

3. All the brand names ones are about the same, everyone is going to come on here telling you get a different one :tongueout:

4. As Jambo said, I had an Airtec which had a problem with flow on it, so swapped it out for a Pro Alloy. Plenty of people run Airtec without issues & when I returned it to them, they flow tested it & found the problem with it. A few people jumped on the Wagner bandwagon, but that seems to have gone quiet. Personal point of view from having both, was that the Airtec was more ' agricultural' in construction , whereas the Pro Alloy is a nicely constructed intercooler. A gentleman that I work with manufactures intercoolers for Minis & older Ford's & rates Pro Alloy. Take your pick. There are comments regarding blocking air to the rad with the Pro Alloy, but Airtec have also gone down the route of manufacturing a taller intercooler.

5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

All much of a muchness, each has its up and downsides. Airtec has the most effective core in terms of actual IATs, Pro alloy is supposedly meant to flown the best but you are talking a handful of bhp, plus it's a flawed design imo.

MilosB likes this.
  6. using pro alloy and still running fine

7. ok, thanks for the replies :hearteyes:, think ill head down pro alloy route.

8. I'm still waiting to see what CGR come up with!

9. Hang on a sec....the pro alloy suggests a gain of 10 bhp, but airtec claim an increase of 36 bhp ?

10. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'd hazard a guess as to the Airtec numbers being with a map. Fmic don't give you power as such in either case

11. where you fae jamie ?

12. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Home is Tyndrum but spent more time in Dunfermline when not at work, which is anywhere and everywhere around Scotland

13. im fae clackmannanshire mate :sunglasses:

14. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Cool, probably seen mine kicking about at somepoint then

15. got motor remapped when i bought it. Have since fitted an akrapovic exhaust, and ITG induction kit. What would you recommend next for more horses mate ?

16. nope..only in videos

17. im usually in alloa /boness

18. Depends how far u wanna go. Defo fmic and decat. Then your looking at turbo and injectors. Also after fitting mods you may need a map tweak

19. was thinking decat mate..does that no fuck up mot ? why fmic if it disny add any horses ?

20. Depends if u know any friendly not garages lol. Fmic to keep iat stable, so I've been told. I've fitted all mods bar hybrids and car booked at rs tuning for map next week

21. Mot . Fukin spell check

22. Just got mot'd mate :smile: dinny need to worry aboot that until next year

23. Scorpion decat, ktec exhaust, pipercross induction. Gives a lovely deep noise when in sport mode and some cheeky turbo flutter aswell

24. Happy days. Cousin is an MOT tester so that's me sorted. But few year ago on my 182 used to drop the local garage a bottle of southern comfort and that passed mot with decat

25. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Yeah it is, if you wait a couple weeks I'll have a brand new one in box for sale that I can do for a bit less than rrp

26. ok sound mate, motor is going in for belts on 18th. Cold get em to fit it whilst its in the shop !

27. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Ah not sure I will have it by then, Scorpion said no stock til the 20th

28. No worries mate, I can wait.

29. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Sound, I'll ping you a message when I get it then

Also who is dojng the belts?

30. SWR in Stirling mate.

31. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Ah cool, Michael/Stewart will look after you then, Used them a fair bit for various things

32. Aye, been going there a few year noo eh ! This is my 3rd RS

33. I keep reading on here advice to get back box removed. Is that part of exhaust system ? Don't want to start chopping bits off the akrapovic.

34. Not sure where you are reading that, the normal would be center box, but if you have a akrapovic then I would get a different system, would not be messing around with that one

35. Oh aye center box . Will leave it then,cheers

36. ok, so im looking at scorpion decat, ITG induction kit (already have), acrapovic exhaust (already have),Airtec Intercooler, and ktr inlet pipe ! after that i will have to get it remapped again aye ? How many horses we looking at ? plan a trip to rs tuning for remap.

37. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

300-330 with those parts