What should I know when installing coilovers?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Moshe, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Hello all,

Going to install a set of ast's 5100 (with the top mounts) in a couple of weeks on my mk3 265.

I'm fairly new to this world, and the overall knowledge we have around Renault Sport here in Israel is pretty low...

So my question is, what else should I buy/consider buying/know so that I would be ready for installing the kit?

The car is my daily, and I'm visiting the track about once a month.

Thanks!

Moshe.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

2. One thing you’ll need do is make the top mount opening diameter larger so can access the camber lock bolts. The current hole is pretty small so will need metal cutting tool to widen it

3. Thanks, yes this one I know.
    Need more info on -
    Drop links - what should I buy?
    Spacers - any needed?
    Set up - what height and set up I should set the coilovers when setting them up?
    Anything else I should know in advance.

Thanks!

4. Im interested in this also.

From what I have read before, I think fitting driveshaft spacer is a good idea but I'm not sure if people are generally advised to refresh any other suspension parts before fitting coilovers?
    @cgrautomotive might be good ones to ask.

5. I’d say need spacer if going super lo, with just say 30mm not needed plus don’t forget the more camber you run the more you actually push the drive shafts back into gearbox

6. Attached Files:

7. Nice, I had seen these ones: https://www.kamracing.co.uk/car-tun...-superpro-arb-drop-link-kit-renaultsport.html but yours look even better.

8. Ive also heard mention of shimming the rear beam but Im not completely sure what the idea behind that is?

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Shims don't make that much of a difference tbf, swapping tyres is the easier way to keep on top of tyre wear

10. I have also shimmed the rear suspension - run 2 degrees negative camber, helps if you are in motorkhana events with the very tight turns. Cannot hurt when you are running on the track - wouldn't bother if it is only run on the road.

11. Thanks for the comments all.

So apperantlly the the ast's have an adjustable arm for the drop links, so I don't need the adjustable drop links.

What is the recommended ride height I should aim for?

Looking more into track performance and daily drivability and less on stance etc...

12. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Yeah arb bracket can be adjusted on the ASTs but you'll still benefot from shorter drop links to get a decent ride height.

13. How low can I go with the ast's and oem drop links?

14. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Be able to go pretty low tbf, but the arb will likely be preloaded way too much.

15. What is the recommended ride height I should aim for?

see my picture above - 609 mm