What have I done to my handbrake?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Hedge, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Ok, for the first time I changed Rear Pads and front Discs and Pads.

After a massive nightmare with one rear caliper refusing to wind in I eventually managed it and all seemed good. Wheels back on, took it for a spin. Brakes all good...

Handbrake however. Doesnt do anything until its at its absolute max extension. Its almost like the bottom notches arent even attached to anything.

What have a missed ? :-/ lol .

2. is it not a self adjusting one? have you tried keep pumping it?

3. I dunno if its self adjusting.

Its a 2010 Mk3 RS250.

I pumped the foot brake then took it for a spin, all seemed ok. Pulled back onto drive and then when I put handbrake on it so light and pulls almost vertical.

I tried pulling and releasing it multiple times and pumping foot brake. I'll have to investigate more I guess :worried:

4. Did you have your handbrake on when you removed and replaced the Pads?

5. I know I has handbrake off when I did the driver side but I have a feeling I might have had it on for one point on the passenger side before I realised :worried:

6. Ive fixed it. Im such a donut.

Turns out I needed to start engine, press in pedal, pull handbrake, release pedal, press pedal, pull handbrake.. repeat about 12 times..

then it tightened itself up.

Thanks guys!