VWTT 275 trophy

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by VW TT, Apr 29, 2017.

1. New FWD lap record then 1:41......

2. So what car have you got again and how much faster than that are you ? One of the megane runs 270 bhp but is on ast's full cage big brakes etc and he can drive it properly, he doesn't recall meeting you at any of the many trackdays we all do either?

3. New FWD lap record then 1:41......
    Well if I was in your mates car I would be very happy with a 1:40

4. Wow, what can you do in your car? What do you have again?

GrumpyTwig likes this.
  5. In the Kia Picanto I've been driving recently, I reckon about 2:00. Very economical though.

6. Oh mate

mike123456789 and Xanda73 like this.
  7. That is good advice. I had a 20min tuition session with an instructor, and i had so much more confidence after that.

Yes I have some in car footage. They are 20-30 min clips though. How do I get those on here?

8. Just embed them as linked media from the top menu on the posting format.

9. So I finally got round to posting the in car movie from Oulton. This is the best bits of the various runs put together. Please don't laugh too much at my poor track driving skills. I'm still a newbie! :smile: I'll post the Cadwell movie later.

10. I always enjoy Oulton.

And to be fair, I much prefer people taking it within their means and drive safely, then the nutcase that will cause issues.

Nothing to win on a track day. A lot to loose.

Next time you'll get faster.
    Try braking after the right kink into Cascades, not before, a lot of time to be made around island and shell. And you're a dash conservative on your braking points (which is good!).

Not a clue what a standard(-ish) Meg3 should do around Oulton, but I'd guess a 2:0x should be doable quite casually.

11. Thanks Ultralight. I'll keep those pointers in mind when I'm there next. Which is hopefully soon. Harewood hill climb first though :smile:

12. Once you start stitching it all together and are flowing well and feel confident, I'd say aim for a 2:05 on your current set up.

13. What's this advise and time based on?

14. My 2:0x? Lots of laps, testing and racing around Oulton, in a good mixture of different vehicles.

Edit: Sorry Xanda, thought you meant my guess of laptime.

15. The circuit, the car and tyres, the current lap time and a decent guess at where a progressive lap delta would eventually lead to.

16. yup, a guess.

GrumpyTwig likes this.
  17. Nope, 2 guesses:

18. Here's the movies from Cadwell. This was my first outing in the meg. I felt much more comfortable at Oulton the week after. First run is with the instructor. Second and third runs you can see my mate in his new 308 gti. Fast car the gti. And a much better driver than me.

19. Lovely weather and the grass has been particularly well cut.

20. It was a beautiful day. Hadn't noticed the grass cutting though.

21. Best track in the UK imo, Oulton close but Cadwell is brilliant. Cadwell has some nuances to it that are fun to learn and play around with.

Goose neck down into Mansfield was always my favourite, especially on cold tyres with a bit of oppo (by accident mr marshal honest).
    Only problem is people always crash there, especially on entry into hall bends, without fail never went to a day where someone didn't either stuff it there or on the hairpin.

22. The other hidden gem is the large country house just to right and in the middle of the circuit just after Barn.

Only snag with Cadwell other than the areas as mentioned by Grumpy T that can bite your ass, is its too narrow as a circuit. Bikes love it though.

23. It's narrower than say an international circuit, but it's plenty wide enough for cars. Calling it too narrow makes me wonder if you've ever driven round it with any gusto, you'd need to be running silly power or be in an extremely squirrely car to make it seem 'to narrow'.

Plenty of space if you're a competent driver.

24. Not a popular circuit for racing. Too narrow.

25. I love Cadwell, you should give it a go when you get a car, see you there .....lol

26. Lovely day at Cadwell today. Not seeing any Meganes with black bonnets.

27. How many portions of chips did you serve? I never said I was going to Cadwell, probably why you didn't see me....lol

see you left early as well (i'll assume you weren't really there)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  28. Haha. Well I really did like Cadwell. It's a little narrow in places but even as a newbie to trackdays it wasn't a big deal. It just adds to the fun! Keeps you focussed There's was certainly enough room for cars to keep overtaking me haha

Hall bends was soooooo brilliant. I'd seen loads of people on YouTube loose the car at that point so I was cautious to start with but really smashed through there towards the end of the day. Loads of fun!

29. nice one, one of the best UK tracks, just needs some pit garages : )

30. Sounds like you're not sure......

31. What , about the chips? Just thought that was a bit of you. Couldn't give a toss to be honest, you're the one seeming to want a hug from us car owners, keep hinting you might have been to a track , it's quite amusing....lol

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  32. imo it's mostly about the entry into halls. When people take it too tight it makes it more off camber and often they then hit the curb unsettling the car.

Enter the first corner as late as possible and you'll never nave an issue.

Goose neck is sketchy if you get a bit over confident with it too :smiley:

33. Is that from previous experience

34. Goose neck? Yes, took it too fast once nearly ended up going down hill backwards :smiley:

Having said that worst I ever did was get the back out through Coppice in my Clio, that's a very butt puckering experience.

....damn I miss trackdays.

35. It's always a great way to remember a Trackday, I've had a few myself : )

36. Don't think I had the balls all day to really nail gooseneck. I was having to literally say out loud over and over "don't brake don't brake don't brake" but every time I gave it a dab of brakes just before turning left to go down the hill. Takes some bravery that series of corners.

I think that's my biggest down fall. Being brace enough. It's only by late afternoon that I am really pushing hard for every bit of time.

Still I'm not too bothered about the times. Fun and unscathed is all I'm after haha.

GrumpyTwig likes this.
  37. Fun and unscathed is what it's all about

GrumpyTwig likes this.
  38. Cadwell is certainly a place where you need to manage the skill and bravery. Yesterday a couple of cars went home with a different body shape. Fairly standard day.

39. Had the car detailed recently. Here's a few pics.

meg12.jpg

meg5.jpg

meg7.jpg

Paul21 and AaronRS like this.
  40. meg10.jpg