Sponsored By:  

Tyres on RS250 for track and road

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by Mark_RS, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Thinking of ditching the stock rims on my 250 and just running semi slicks all year round (used to do this on my Exige S).

I have 18 x 8.5 wheels on the car...what would you recommend on a reasonable budget? 225 40 18 is way cheaper than 235 40 18 for instance. I don't want to spend Direzza or A048 money thinking around the 100-150 mark per corner so possibly the Nankang as 2r or ar1s?

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

AD08Rs.

110 a tyre

3. I run those on the 63 and they were decent at Mallory but shit at Goodwood (newer at Goodwood). They are a great tyre though! Just don't inspire like the r888r or (I'm assuming) the NK AR1. The NK NS 2R look similar to the AD08 R but cheaper,

4. I paid 105 each for mine in 235/35/19. eBay username: bankofe.b.a.y

5. That's who I bought them off for the Merc :smile:

225 235 or 245?

git-r likes this.
  6. First time I used them in the dry I wasn't impressed but have been since.
    They've logged some excellent grip and done some very competitive times.

7. I might take a look at some in 235 and compare to the NKs?

8. Hi Mark
    I have 18x8.5's TD 1.3's on my 225, i ran 225-40-18 595 rsr's on them and killed the front tyres in two track days, the inside edge just wore away i think they were to narrow on those rims, i am now running 255-35-18's and they are wearing evenly across the whole tyre.

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Same guy I use haha, I've had 8 pairs of him since last May [emoji23]

git-r likes this.
  10. Morning Ian, thanks for the info. So you run 255s? and 35 profile also? How does that feel/drive on track? I was going to keep the rolling radius the same and go 235 (especially after your comment on 225 being too narrow).

11. 8 pairs? what on earth are doing with them Jamie? :smiley:

12. On track they feel great, well pleased with the outcome although it felt a little strange on the road to start with tram-lining and i thought the tracking was out, but on the drive back from Spa it now feels normal, just needed to get used to them :laughing:

13. I wonder what the lap time difference would be if anything on wider rubber?

14. I am not sure if lap times would be better, i would have thought so, it feels much better so that's okay for me.
    My best lap at Spa was 3,06 don't know if that good never been there before:laughing:

15. Sounds respectable Ian, it's a scary place...especially having the balls to carry speed through EauRouge.

16. Really interesting thread this..

I am off to the ring soon, out of interest what tyre pressures would you recommend?

Ill be on 888s if its dry..

17. 2.2 bar when hot then tune from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Front and back?
    It's strange as on the sticker on the door it has a 5lb psi difference ?
    I recently did brands and the rear felt alive to say the least. Perhaps that's the reason..

19. It's only a starting point and it's easy to tune especially if you have a pump/compressor.

It's useful to figure out how much your tyre pressure rises and falls from hot to cold. This way you can set a cold pressure in confidence that it will be cold+x when hot.

My Cup2s rose by 0.3bar from cold to hot.

Get a pen, book, pressure gauge and pump and go do some motorsport engineering [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Just found in an supplement to the handbook it says 2 bar on the front and 2.1 bar on the rears..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

21. Cheers for the reply..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sam@NP likes this.
  22. Ns2r been really good on my cup250 on track and road plus reasonable to buy! Much better in comparison to toyo t1s use in autumn winter

23. I've not used Nankang yet but want to try the NS2R and the AR1. I'd aim for stock temp fully hot, just take a cheap compressor and accurate tyre gauge. Problem at the Ring is the distance you need to travel before you can check/adjust. I'd maybe run a few psi off to start and watch your tyre monitor in the car. Enjoy the track!

24. Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I dont have a in car tyre monitor..

25. In that case I'd say set pressures 3psi down front and rear (they'll still be way over pressure when hot) and do a decent lap or half lap to Adenau if you're happy to exit there. You'll get the pressures sorted pretty quickly and then as others have said, first thing the following morning check the pressure when they're cold and you'll be sorted from that point on in future.

BIG E likes this.
  26. Thank you for your advise but what pressures should I start from 32 all round or 2bar on the front 2.1 on the rears?

27. So much depends on how much heat you will get into them. Suck it and see.

28. I get that but where should I start from? In my WR1 I'd start from 28psi all round but I've never driven a megane before.

29. I bought a set of four Nankang NS2R's in 225/40/18 for £340 suuplied and fitted January 31st and the fronts are now dead, Ive only done one trackday which was Curborough and it was a sprint day. Just ordered two Yoko AD08R's for £200 delivered ready for cadwell next wednesday. Wish I went with them in the first place as I do think and have noticed the softer NS2R's wear very quick. Good tyre for the money though.

30. Start from the pressure on your door sticker. Do a hand full of good laps and check them when hot, adjust from there to keep them about the same.

You can adjust them more if you feel you need to but really you're just wanting to make sure you wear them evenly and don't rip them off the rims.

31. See I'd agree at a small track like Brands Indy but the Nordschleife? My vote is start with 3 psi less than the petrol flap values and adjust after 1 lap then check after lap 2 and 3.

BIG E likes this.
  32. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

32 hot works well on the MK3s, obviously lower if it's a full on R tyre and you have the suspension to exploit them

BIG E likes this.
  33. Cheers Jamie, I'll be using 888s only standard suspension though..

34. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'd still aim for around that then tbf, no camber will be hard on the edges. Granted unless you know the place well your not going to be pushing them overly hard

35. Thats the trouble I do know it reasonably well. lol
    Youll know what I mean .

36. hi Jamie, is that 32 all round? i am running r888r and ad08 next week and the geo is very sorted with a lot of camber and has bilstein 14s. or would you suggest dropping to around 30 all round for nice hot tyres. is the 250 next week

37. have you run trefeos as i might put them on as well to try them....similar pressures do you think?

38. I've got yoko v105 on at mo but rear toyo t1s getting low on tread would I be ok to use yoko ado8 in conjunction with v105. Would you have ado8 on front or rear with the v105

39. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

AD08Rs need a bit of pressure in them to keep them stiff, even with camber. 32 hot in them works well all round.

I run my proper track tyres anywhere from 26-30 hot depending on circuit and conditions but I adjust them depending on temperatures across the surface as well

BIG E likes this.
  40. Cheers Jamie