1. where'd you go for your NS2R tyres? i'm looking at getting a set myself

2. From camskill, they were on offer when I got them so only paid £320 for the set.

3. that's mega cheap that is i'll have to see what i can do

4. Camskill or tyre leader. I paid similar from the latter.

5. that's so much cheaper than i've been finding elsewhere, i know this thread is all about it but does the 225-235 actually make a difference to handling? the main reason i want them is for a ring trip

6. Probably not but I'd stick with the size that's meant to be on there.

7. I have 225 on now. Not noticed any difference. For the £10-15 difference per tyre I may go 235 next time though.

8. If I look for tyres using my REG it shows my car needing 225/45 R17's. BUT its never ever had 17's on it! The standard DCI175 had 17's on it, but mine is a LUX and that came with 18's as standard.
    Surely the insurance company would think it should have 17's on it then and I would be in the wrong?!?

¬_¬

9. I think about going 225 all time from 235 but I think it's only a matter of say £40 for a set of 4 and the 235 are a lot wider on the rim so you have the peace of mine you have a little rim protector.

10. Bit of help required chaps;

Bought 225/40/R18 Michelin Super Sports from Oponeo. However, I bought the 88Y as opposed to the 92Y XL ZR by mistake.

How much difference does this really make? What are the effects of having the '88' load rating tyres instead of 92?

I've spoken to them, the order is being processed/sent out today and therefore they can't change it, but they said I can reject the delivery and they will then amend the order when the goods return to them.

If I accept the delivery it's £15 per tyre to be returned.

Need to know how important the 92s with extra load/reinforcement are before I turn the courier away!!

11. I'd be returning them personally.

I'm firmly in the camp that says 225s are okay rather than 235s, but the 88 rated tyres have 70kgs less load 'ability' than 92s. I think this is more important than the extra 10mm.

Just reject the delivery, claim the money back off your card and re-order surely? Sod paying £15 a tyre when you've rung to cancel/change it.

12. It's very important! Your tyre sidewall will not provide enough resistance to the continuous compression loads especially under heavy braking and cornering. Factor in broken road surfaces and potholes and the tyre is essentially unsafe.

In addition, this will almost certainly invalidate insurance as it is definitely not suitable for the car.

Have patience, return them and get the right tyre!

13. I've got to laugh at this tbh. You say fitting a 225 in place of the 235 is ok but it's not ok to run 88 instead of 92......the 235 is a 95 load which is 60kg more than the 225 92 so do you still say it's ok to go to 225 when it's meant to be 235?

You should always stick to the OE size and fitment.

14. Load index requirement for the car is 92. You get 94 on a 235 as a minimum although most these days are 98. This is because at 235 they are mostly fitted to heavier cars with wider wheels. The 18" wheel on the Megane is the same across the RS range. The 235 brings a little compliance (reduces NVB) to the ride after Renault stiffened the spring and damper rate on the R26.

A 225 is fine as long as it's 92 or upwards on the load rating.

So he's right in saying what he said.

Edit- this is for mark 2 cars! I'm not referring to mark 3s

15. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Makes no difference. Ive ran several 88 rated tyres on mine, Which is heavier and has more power than any of the MK2's that people have posted about in here.

Granted they were Semi slicks but that makes little difference.

16. Well no disrespect but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Highest load for a 235 is 97 and the minimum is 91. I was just pointing out that if you're worried about the load being less you should stick to what the OE fitment is meant to be because going 225 in place of 235 is also reducing the load.

17. I've tracked the 225 in the 88, seem fine and can see them exploding

18. Also have PSS in 225 width and 88 rated .. And they're fine . Been tracked also

19. Oh but I do! Don't just take my word for it though, read this section about not using correct load index tyres.

http://www.btmauk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Replacing-car-tyres-important-information.pdf

http://www.ukmot.com/manual/4.1/Tread-Pattern-Breadth-and-Depth

In terms of the maximum load index for a 235 I was talking about 45 profile tyres not 40 as the original poster was talking about that.

Going up from a 225 to 235 or vice versa does not necessarily effect load and definitely doesn't mean you are afforded greater load safety factors just because the cross section is bigger.

It's a big problem for van drivers who put car wheels and the respective low profile tyres on their vans. Think VW transporter with fake RS6 alloys.

They won't explode the moment they are wrapped around your rims but don't be ignorant to think that because they haven't and you've done track days that the rate of degradation (INTERNALLY) will not be increased and the tyre structure not compromised. It's also important to point out that the level of response from the sidewall and how the tyre rolls will will be compromised. The outside edge of the tyre will show this wear. This will be exaggerated on a wider tyre where the tyre flexes from side to side around the rim.

I've come into this in support of what someone else was saying but this isn't my argument to have, I know what's right and what isn't in this instance with regard load indexes. If you are happy with 88s and the implications then on you go. Just don't crash into me or hurt anybody with your obtuseness.

20. NJH

NJH

I can see both sides of this argument, however you are right. The RS manual that came with my R26 has a table showing the different tyres you can run one of which is the higher load rated 225. The 88 rated 225 is not on that table. I was also told by one of the Avon tyres engineers many years ago never to run tyres with a lower load index than OEM options on a car.