1. Currently have this dilemma too... Does anyone know the difference between Eagle F1 moulds R1 and FO? There are two choices on camskill, but £15-16 difference per tyre..

Similar to above, I think I'd rather stick with 235 if that what they came with. I'm picky like that lol.

2. I need some opinions please;

My R26 has Triangle TR968's fitted (yes, not fitted by me - by the dealer I purchased from). It's like driving on ice, apparently they're Chinese manufactured and basically they replicate tyre treads from premium tyres but they're made out of awful rubber. They are AWFUL.

I'm looking at Michelin Pilot Sport 3s, because I used to have them on my Clio Trophy and they never let me down. The only issue with those were that they wore very quickly and i'd shred through fronts in about 8000 miles.

Does anyone have any good alternatives to PS3s? I've heard good things about Pirelli P Zeros and Goodyear Eagle F1s.

Any advice is much appreciated because I haven't bought tyres for the R26 before.

3. Dont be ! The difference on a tyre like these will be the width of a nats gonad different. I run federal rsr595 in 225/40/18 , having had a lot of different tyres in 235/40.

4. The goodyears are bloody awful !

I have had

RSR595 - great
    Goodyear Ass 2 - poor
    Conti Sport 5 - pretty good
    PS2 - great

The ps3 is not a great tyre , get the PSS instead.

5. Hmmmmmmm... fair enough!
    I think i've found ps3's at around £415 for 4 (not fitted).

Will have a look at the price of pss to see the difference.

I dont really need new tyres, but the "landsail" £40 a corner things that were on the car when I bought it are bloody dangerous!
    Brand new all round so i'll keep the for spare, think the garage chucked them on to put it through its MOT

6. I'm in a similer boat, i have the exact same POS tyres on the back of mine that the dealer put on the back, the front has the original CS5's (guessing from the back).

I loved the F1's on my Golf so would like to have them again, the wet grip alone was amazing.

I love the 19's on this 250 but it really cranks up the price of the tyre =-/

7. If you do go for F1's, the FO tyre has a worse wet grip rating and higher noise than the R1!

Found that out last night after some research..

8. So are you saying the PSS are just a few mm thinner than the PS3/2? I too would rather have the 235 for the looks / rim protector and I'm guessing the wider the tyre the more grip?

9. ^^ If you do punt for the Goodyears look at the ratings. One is a C wet grip and the other is A. There was a substantial difference in price a few weeks ago when I was looking though..

Btw I just got ContiSport 5P's all round in 235/40/18s as I didn't want to fit the 225 PSS and sway from OEM size. I find them very very good. There are ContiSport 5s and 5Ps. The "P" being the more performance orientated tyre.

I also understand they are recommended by renault on the 19s aswell, if you don't go for the ring RE050a Bridgestone tyres.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  10. Those that don't like the PS3 over the PS2's why is that? Handling on the limit on the track? Putting the power down? Braking? The reports on PS3s seem mixed, some highly rating them, other saying not as good as PS2/PSS etc.

11. Was about £15 a corner on Camskill last night iirc

12. I've got PS3's on mine and I like them. After 12k my fronts are now in need of replacement, and I keep reading that the PSS/PS2 are better. I've found the PSS in 225/40-18 for £100 per corner, and PS2's for £80 per corner. Are the PSS' worth the extra £20?

13. I just received a pair of continental sport winter contact 810s ready to go on after I burn the NS2Rs off in September at Knockhill. Will have to choose another set once the winter clears again. Oh the decisions

14. Had ps2 and ps3 on the r26, ps2 on the 265. Ps2 is far 'sharper' in the handling dept, hard to explain just feels the sportier tyre. Would tell anyone to get ps2 over ps3

from what i read pss is a step up from the ps2

15. If you have had a budget tyre on before , or something like toyo proxies then they will feel fine.

Having had "equal" rubber on , then they just are not as good. dont do anything as well as the ps2.

16. Mental, the A wet rating ones were £40 more EACH than the others when I was looking! No way were they worth that money... Wasn't on camskill mind.

17. im going to order tyres tomorrow, probably from camskill. im think im gong to go for 225 or 235/40 pirelli p zeros, do people prefer extra load tyres or just standard?

18. You usually have to get the XL's to get the right load ratings, especially with the 225s as they don't go up to 95 load ratings anyway. Think the highest LR you get on a 225 is 92Y being reinforced and the OEM is 95Y on 235s (if it's a cup chassis) Not a huge difference but some people just like to stick to OEM lol..

Haven't really heard of anyone going for the p zeros for a 250/265 on here or personally so can't really comment on the actual tyres.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  19. Yep only 95 load rating available with 235's.

Thanks.

I'll give the p zeros a go and report back. However the I don't have decent tyres to compare them to at the moment.

20. Sorry mate, i'm not being thick am I? They don't make the PSS in 235/40/R18s, so would I have to stretch some 225s on there?

21. There are plenty people using 225 PSS, it was between these and the 235 5P's but in the end decided to stick to oem size. The PSS are probably the better tyre tbh as i believe they're regarded the best tyre available ATM, but I believe the difference would be marginal for road use anyway. The PSS also have the added bonus of being cheaper though!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  22. Does it not affect your insurance if something happens and you've got the wrong size tyres on?? Sure I read somewhere you need to notify them.

23. I bet the folks that ordered the r888 on the r26r didnt tell the insurance company.

24. Although there are plenty people who have fitted 225 or even 245 PSS instead of 235s... This is another reason why people like to stick to the OEM size, including myself:tongueout:

I'm sure you do, and also sure there would be insurers out there that would use that as a reason not to pay out to... Think someone confirmed this on another tyre thread.

25. Anyone tried the pilot sport cups?
    Getting into silly money, but I imagine they wear quite quickly?

26. The new pilot sport cup 2s? They came as an option on the 275 trophy and standard with the 275r I think. Going off comments on the official renaultsport forum and occasional post on her I would not use these as a road tyre. If you live somewhere with quite a wet climate that is.

For the track I think they're the best you can buy but they are supposedly quite a handful in the wet and especially when they're cold.. I think even a few of the magazines commented on this as well.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  27. Technically. you just wouldnt want to cause a £1m claim and have the tyres be a reason to refuse indemnity!

28. 143 IIRC on oponeo for the Cup 2's (newest) in 225 40 18, R888s are 131, I think the Euro is really helping us out atm

29. Yea I thought so. Better just sticking to the right size.

30. Insurance Underwriter here;

Tyres aren't considered as a risk factor by insurance companies, if they're road legal then we don't care. The whole vehicle has to be road legal (have a valid MOT...)

Even if the policy was voided, any third party damage (property/vehicle/third party injury) would have to be paid for by your insurer anyway under the Road Traffic Act. It would only be your own damage which they could refuse to pay out on.

Sorry for nerdy post :rolleyes:

31. Again, 225's aren't the 'wrong' size. Either 225 or 235, or even 215 and 245 are suitable to fit that size of wheel (although the latter two aren't recommended)

At the risk of upsetting Steve again, Renault sold some R26r's with 225 tyres from new (the ones fitted with r888's).

I was going to also say the thing about telling your insurance company is total rubbish but Jonny has done a much better job.

It's the same as Renault recommending Elf oils and somebody stressing over putting something different in.

32. MBC

MBC

I bet your insurance is cheap mate lol

33. Not quite mate, if it was shown the vehicle wasnt std specification we could refuse indemnity due to modifications or if the wrong tyre has contributed/caused an accident.

Whilst the insurer has an RTA obligation we have a right of recovery against the insured for all third party costs.

34. Unfortunately not, no special deals for me!

I think you'd have a hard time pushing back on a claim based on non-standard tyres that are still road legal!

35. Pretty easy, non-std spec so in breach of policy conditions- refuse indemnity - satisfy any tp claim - recover money from ph

36. NJH

NJH

As I mentioned in an other thread, check through your owners manual and associated booklets. For my R26 the little Renaultsport Megane booklet lists 3 different tyre specs in the tyre pressures table (the only place I could find where any tyre spec is mentioned). The 3 tyres listed includes the higher load rated 225x40-18 as one could buy R888s in and the 2 different load ratings for the 235x40-18. As far as I am concerned that is documentary proof that Renault have 3 different tyre specs for my car regardless of what the car came on from the original supplying dealer.

37. Make that 4 because the car is approved for use (at lower speeds) with the space saver wheel/tyre. That must put people into apoplectic stock as the even the wheel diameter isn't right! Imagine the horror.

You could even argue for 5 or more different tyres as the car is rated to run on snow tyres of a different spec too.

38. NJH

NJH

Fair points but the key thing for me is nowhere in any of the documentation I have with the car does it say it has to be on 235x40-18 95W, and I bought my car from its original owner with everything he had for it. People are putting two and two together and assuming its a hard and fast rule. Its like the whole question around pattern replacement parts which is why ECE Regulation 90 exists for the brakes, if people assumed that one must have the exact same component spec as the car came with out of the showroom then you could only use PS2 tyres on my R26 and all replacement parts from the main dealer only. On the tyre question 5 different companies 235x40-18 won't even have the same basic measurements as the original PS2s let alone driving characteristics.

39. Without wanting to start another thread.

Nangkang NS2R
    federal RSR
    Bridgestone RE002

Any comments?

Had the Bridgestones in my old hawkeye Impreza and that had awesome grip but don't know how much of that was 4 wheel drive or the tyres. But at £66 each for the 225 that seems a complete bargain!!!

40. I'm on NS2R 180 compound. No complaints.