Tyre question.

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Joe R26, Feb 25, 2014.

1. The r26 is due some tyres soon and I noticed that some people put 225s on instead of 235. There seems to be a massive price difference between the two.

So is it okay to put 225's on? What difference does it make?

2. I noticed this too wouldnt fancy having stretched tyres though leave tht for the vw boys

3. My winter tyres are 225. They made my speedo read out and I don't like the feel of 225s.

4. A WHOLE 1.3% difference.

At 60mph you would really be travelling at 59.256044637321764mph

I defy anyone to notice that.

5. Also the R26R came on 225, not 235 ..

6. That's another 1.3% on top of the speedo already reading out. It makes the cruise control inaccurate.

Why be tight over ~£30 a corner.

7. Does your speed read over or under ?

The cruise control is already out. I set mine at second click 74mph to do an GPS verified 70mph.

8. The 225 I put on mine where the oilot super sports which I believe are a more track orientated tyre... they feel just as good as the ps2 the car came with initially and a hundred times better than the hankooks they replaced (which were 235) having them on the wheels the tyre is physically wider than the 235 hankooks and look identical in witdh to the ps2 I used to have... no streching of the tyre and a good dose of alloy protection to them! Theres a thread with pics somewhere

9. I also have the Super Sports in 225 width (they're not available in 235). They're absolutely fine.

10. Track Focus Direct

Track Focus Direct RSM Trader

If the rim is 18x8, then the optimum width is 225. Some tyres are wider than others and PS3s are on the narrow side. I have several different 225s on 18x8s and the 235 PS3 is narrower than all of them.

11. I don't see the speedo being out on the minus side as a bad thing to be honest as long as it's within reason. Call it a bit of extra insurance against speeding fines & points.

As for the being tight - having just spent £2k on this car in 8 months on maintenance, I thought saving £120 on 40mm worth of tyres was a good compromise. I'll gladly trade up to 235's if you'll forward a cheque for the difference :rolleyes: