Tyre lifespan

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by adR26am, Jan 14, 2014.

1. I'd like to ask other owners how long their tyres, mainly the front ones, have lasted in miles. Type of tyre and driving style also appreciated.
    Interested so can I budget in new ones each year, or two years but I'm not going to hold my breath for that one. :rolleyes:

2. I seem to go through a set of fronts every 6-8 months. Hankook v12's lasted the lower end, Michelin PS3s about 7 months. Goodyear Eagle F1 assy2 last about 8-10 months. Worth the extra in my opinion. Hope that helps.

3. No track use either

4. PS2 & PS3- fronts last about 8-10k miles, rear about 12k- this was gerneal driving, daily commuting with spirited driving on a weekend. I did find the good grip from these tyres dissapears below 3.5mm of tread.

Ultrac Vortis- fronts had for about 5k miles and still have 5.5mm tread left, rear had for 2k miles and have 7mm tread- only started using these as they are better value to the PS's.

5. Its a shame the grip is dire , with no sidewall stiffness at all.

I have a pair of 500mi old ones that I will gladly sell if you are keen ?

6. I've found the grip on them fantastic! As have most of the reviews I've read. Funny you've found the opposite! Out of interest what are you running?

7. Conti 5p's 2 months keen driving

8. 235 / 40 / 18 . They flex far too much in the sidewall and the grip loss isnt progressive. I dont feel I have the car under me. It feels like its on a jelly.

9. That's surprising. Admittedly I don't track the car or even push it to the absolute limits on public rds, so maybe haven't explored the edge of the envelope as it were but they get fantastic reviews as far as I've seen. Tyre "feel" is massively subjective though.... http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-2.htm

All I can say is I've been really impressed with mine..:thumbup:

10. Miles mean more than months!
    We'll see about mine. My plans to turn my wife into a petrol head have obviously failed as the trip computer says 31mpg, so hopefully this will have a positive effect I tyres too. Leaving me more money to have fun with the car. :smiley:

11. Sorry mate. Between 5k and 8-10k miles on fronts. I do swap to winters between Nov and March tho.

12. I'd have them off you if your getting rid

13. I could be for the right price. Do you want to goto PM to discuss?

14. Yes mate drop me a mail

15. How did you find V12's Chris? I've heard mixed reviews .. some say good 'budget' option and some say stick with the bigger brands

16. I found the were very soft and wore very quickly. Felt nice whilst they were on, but couldn't afford to keep replacing them. Not as good in the wet as the Goodyear Eagle F1 assy 2. I'm not sure of the price of them these days, but overall I thought it worth spending not much more for a more premium tyre that lasted longer! Hope that helps.

17. I've had Toyo t1 sports on mine for 2 yr done aprox 12k with a mixture of driving style, commuting and the occasional fast country road driving they just need replacing in the month or so and I'll be getting the same again! The grip with these are awesome too both in wet and dry!

18. 2 years! Wow

19. Only cos of low miles! I do 50,000 a year in my works vans. Current Fiesta is on 23,000 after having it delivered, brand new, in June. Tyres still have a good 3.5 - 4mm too!

20. thanks mate, they're about £20-25 a corner cheaper. Got the F1's on the front currently and I'm impressed but have nothing to compare them too.

21. For that amount of difference I'd stick with the F1s!

22. I usually get around 10k from a set of fronts, rears I don't know as I haven't had to replace any. The worst for wear were Pirelli P Zero, 8k and they were gone. Hankook V12 Evo felt good and lasted 10k, but for an extra £20 a corner you might as well get PS3's. I've currently got Supersports on the front but have only done 3k on them so not sure about wear yet. Damn grippy though.

23. Are super sports the really fancy ones that only start off with about 4mm but are super sticky?

24. Yeah, I think they're about £200 each. I think there must be more than 4mm from new though as there's at least that on them now and I've had the car since last June, they'd recently been fitted when I got it.

25. I think you two are thinking of sport cups, they're basically a legal track day tyre, used on the M3 CSL.
    As far as I know super sports are just really top end road tyres.

26. Sounds about right mate. Equivalent to R888 etc?

27. Ash87

Ash87 RSM Moderator

My hankooks last about 10-12k usually yearly i have to change

28. Are they the evo V12's. Whats your opinion on them?

29. Ash87

Ash87 RSM Moderator

Yeah thats them, only got them as cheaper than mich's but i have had a couple sets now.

Good value for money but very squealy (is that a word? lol) when gunny it around the bends.

Not as good in the wet traction wise off the lights either.

30. I had Michelin PS3s on the front in mid December. Since then we've done 4000 - 5000 miles and they've still got 5mm tread. This sounds good, but it's even better considering that the first 1mm disappeared almost instantly. I've noticed this on a few cars I've had, must be something to do with the geometry adjusting to new tyres. I had rears done a month ago and they've barely changed from the 7mm they were as new.