Tyre Advice

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Robby112, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Morning Guys,

Yesterday somehow I got nail in my sidewall of tyre which I now have to replace (Gutted!!!!! was fitted less than 4k miles) so my question now is I have to get 3 new tyres as rear ones almost out but will it make much difference if any that there are 3 new and 1 old tyre to handling or would it be better to move old one to rear and keep 2 new at front. Ofcourse they will all be same brand.

Thanks
    Robby

2. I have not got a clue about the handling but me myself I would keep 2 worn on front or back and 2 new, my 2p worth :smile:

3. It's not a great idea to mix tyres across axles. Front to back is fine but it has the potential to crate unpredictable handling if you across axles.

4. replace all four

and buy tyre insurance, it's like £8 a tyre i think, well worth it

5. Where can i get this from?

6. Most tyre places do it now, think the missus got her's done at ats euromaster

7. Tyre insurance isn't as great as it makes out tho, it's worth noting it only lasts for the life of the tyre, which for these cars isn't long. I had it at ATS for my PS3s (£13 per tyre) then had a puncture, which they claimed was beyond repair. I had to pay £160 for a new one as a result which included the discount u get for having insurance. ATS charge £175 online for a PS3 so I ended up saving 2 quid! I now buy tyres from internet dealers, way more cost effective.

8. Sounds like you got done mate unless your ps3's were on the legal limit?

missus got a puncture on hers, repaired for free with insurance
    then had a tyre beyond repair with 60% tread left and they gave her 60% off a new tyre and gave her money off the retail price!

9. I always considered tyre insurance to be a waste of cash. Sounds maybe worth it if people have had decent payouts

10. It was beyond repair with 4mm tread left ATS only offer a 35% discount at this level on store price. It's a bit of a con tbh as it ties you in with buying tyres from them. It's good from the POV that the tyres free if it has 6mm+ Of tread but what's the likelihood of that??

11. Well like you said, would be worst nightmare if you had a brand new tyre and it was damaged beyond repair a week later, could easily happen so you get a brand new tyre save yourself £170 or, like my missus, she got a new tyre she reckons it was under £100 (on her 18's) when her one had a buggered sidewall so personally i think its great. Plus any repairable punctures are done for free saving you circa £20 each time.

12. Fair enough I guess the tyre warrantys are a roll of the dice then, I didn't gain much myself but some people are going to like ur missus.

13. Ash87

Ash87 RSM Moderator

I'd replace all four and keep 1 as a spare or the beginning of a track set :wink:

14. I am replacing two front now and then few weeks later will do rear too.